• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber25

Registered Users
Reaction score
I launched in the Pitts this morning before our jump zone became active and practiced maneuvers with lots of inverted and negative G's. Typically we have a pretty strong breeze down the runway early in the morning with a DA of 7200 ft. With a start at 9500 ft I dive into my practice area adjacent to the runway and pull up for a 1/2 vertical roll, hammerhead then push for an inverted recovery before going for a push, push, pull humpty. Outside snaps from inverted to inverted followed by 45 downline for speed and push for 1/2 outside loop. More stuff followed and it was a really fun flight despite starting with 15 gallons of fuel and stratospheric altitudes. She's a tiger with 8 gallons and I get a full roll on the upline and at lower elevations in the Midwest I have to relearn her flight characteristics. My performance surely wasn't up to IAC standards but I was just having fun and giving us a workout. Descending out of the practice area and re entering on a 45 I noticed the windsock looked pretty stiff. Abeam the runway numbers at 1000 agl, power to idle and that looping final with a hard slip decent rate that makes the autorotation in a Cobra look geriatric. Straighten her out, flare and touchdown to follow after a short float. Man that was fun !

Returning home to yard work before it gets hot, I take a break with cold water and read one of my entertainment venues. They talk about mounting altitude readouts on their RV's just like the big boys. The paragraph below illustrates just how wide the culture
gap is between the Bipes and our wonderful aluminum brethren. I love my RV and my Pitts and neither will ever be burdened with these gizmos.

"I have flown with this a couple times and where I think it will be extremely beneficial is landing on grass strips while crossing power lines or trees. The call out helps ensure clearance of obstacles but it’s not an absolute guarantee. It can get a little busy in your ears while near touch down at say 1 foot off the ground with the stall warning or AOA talking to you and the height call outs but your brain quickly gets it sorted out.
Great product and is fun to have in the airplane.
Keep up the great support and product development".

Cheers, Hans

Latest posts

Back