50th Annual Arlington Fly-In: July 6-8, 2018

Discussion in 'Events Calendar' started by Dave Baxter, Jul 4, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 4, 2018 #1

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Would love to see some more biplanes show up this year, with over 50 biplanes of all kinds in and around the Seattle area I would think some would attend? It has been pretty dismal the last several yr. Not sure why, but this is the 50th anniversary, and that alone should be enough to bring out more biplanes.

http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/

Also I am having our family Fourth Of July BBQ at KSPB today, son Dan and I usually give rides, so anyone local is certainly invited. Dave

2. Jul 4, 2018 #2

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

I'd love to be there Dave, I'm in NY for a repair.
    Did get to go to Old Rhinebeck today. That was fun.

3. Jul 4, 2018 #3

stuntflyr

stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Seems to be like that all over. We belonged to AAA in the '70s and Leo Gay in SoCal kept everyone informed about local, regional and nation wide shows. Some guys would fly a long way, for many it was easy like Staggerwings but I remember Aeronca guys flying 1,000 miles.
    I'd be there if I had the days off.
    Chris...

4. Jul 6, 2018 #4

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I'm afraid it's part of the dinosaur syndrome.......:(

5. Jul 6, 2018 #5

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

I can't make it this year due to some unfortunate scheduling. I'd like to be there, being part of EAA 84 who are being given a prominent spot, and it being the next airport north from where I'm based, and really wanting it to be as cool as it was ~10 years ago when I first went. Unfortunately Arlington has really had a difficult time of things since the EAA withdrew their sponsorship (and thus a lot of attractions and national marketing) a while ago.

6. Jul 11, 2018 at 2:25 AM #6

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Arlington 2018 And the flavor.

Some of the warbirds in attendance were a P-47 and a P-40 from Paul Allens collection that flew both days, impressive formation work by pilots with different airplanes. There were also a TBM a BT-13, and the N3N. As for antiques there was a Lockeed 12 all polished and very nice, and a Meyers OTW also very nice, but little else. The classics were were also represented , a nice C-195 and a C-170, both well polished!
    There were also a lot of military vehicles from previous conflicts, as a USMC vet I drove both the Jeep and the Six-by, along with the M-48 Tank. Also was the drone presentation on both Friday and Saturday and balloons and glow Saturday evening.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 3:06 AM
  7. Jul 11, 2018 at 2:43 AM #7

wanttaja

wanttaja

wanttaja

Registered Users

P-47 Fly-by at Arlington:

[​IMG]

Ron Wanttaja

Steve H likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2018 at 2:50 AM #8

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Pictures continued Meyers OTW. As for the airshow airplanes all impressive were the Bud Granley father and son Yaks one a 55, and the other a 18Tcabin job most impressive formation acro, the other notables were Greg Howard in a G-200 a nice Christian Eagle performance by Steve Bennett, Jim Bourke in an Extra 330 and the 450 Stearman flown by Vicky Benzing. Still hard to watch her down line opening maneuver, a big loop on takeoff after seeing the one go straight in at Madras several yrs ago, but she made it around both days, along with the few biplanes. The Wolf Pitts, and a scratch built Bucker Jungmeister that was incredible!

Attached Files:

9. Jul 11, 2018 at 2:53 AM #9

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Bucker Jungmeister

Attached Files:

10. Jul 11, 2018 at 3:03 AM #10

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

And for us. N96576, and N96558, it was a good flight up to Arlington, we stopped at Bremerton, for killer fish and chips great tail wind most of the way 123kts at one time! Out from there past the Bremerton Naval yard, up to Kingston and across between Paine field and Kenmore Air Harbor, and into Arlington. The first two nights were dry and warm, but Saturday night was much cooler and damp! Flight home a bit of a head wind but not bad, less than two hrs ground to ground, and great to fly with one's son as a wing man! Sorry all you biplane guys missed the 20th anniversary, had quite a few positive comments on our airplanes, and a few interested. Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 3:09 AM
  11. Jul 11, 2018 at 4:04 AM #11

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Registered Users Supporting Member

A great flyin. Enjoyed Dave and Dan's company. The airshow great and improvements on the ground. Was told attendance was up. The 50 drone drone show was amazing. The wife even drove down to see it. It attracted many people, I should say a lot of people. After 6 pm a carload could get in for $20 to see the balloon glow and drone show. And there were a lot of them that jumped for it.

will

12. Jul 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM #12

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Ron wonderful picture my friend, wish I had the equipment and expertise to take pictures like this! great shot... Dave

13. Jul 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM #13

conodeuce

conodeuce

conodeuce

For several years now my favorite fly-in has been at Concrete, WA. The focus is on vintage and "funky" airplanes. Very glad that it continues this year, even though the museum based at Mears Field has closed. Starts tomorrow.

https://www.concreteflyin.com

-Mark

14. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:18 PM #14

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

Sure wish I could have been there!
    A couple more years and I'll be able to attend Sun and Fun on a regular basis again.

15. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:20 PM #15

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

20180705_192956 small.JPG 20180705_193000 small.JPG When leaving Bremerton, after fish an chips on our way to Arlington a gal named Cara took pictures of our departure, she stopped by and asked if I would like the pictures. We had been holding short for an air national guard chopper to fly the approach and land. Later at Arlington one of the crew members of that copter stopped by to chat. Dave