• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

A few questions on covering the rudder/ elevator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinballwizzard

Reaction score
I have covered the H stab and it was about as easy as my Pietenpol but the rudder and elevators are a bit tricker and I am hoping I can get some feedback and or pictures from people who have done it. In short I am unsure of a few things.

Hinges, clearly there has to be an opening around the hinge where it exits but with nothing behind it for the fabric to anchor to the fabric it seems that the fabric could deform or get slack. I seems that tapes are what really fixes this but there is no detail in the plans about the tape pattern around the hinges. Is there any one pattern that is best, do I need a fabric doubler before the tapes?

Any tips for the area around the rudder control horn?

Latest posts

Back