• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

A few Skybolt questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a biplane for my wife and I to both fly.

I plan buying a flying aircraft which needs some TLC, rebuild/rework, and recover. I also will need to make rudder pedal adjust provisions to work for both my 5'-11" height and my wife's 5'-0" height. My search thus far has left me looking at the Marquart Charger and the Great Lakes 2T-1A.

I initially ruled out the Skybolt since I wanted an open cockpit bipe with less modern lines, but now I'm giving it a second look. I have a few questions.

1. Will the rudder pedal system readily accept modification for me to adapt it to our use? I'm a mechanical design engineer and am quite comfortable with this type of work.

2. Can the Skybolt be configured to fly as an open cockpit bipe and then get a canopy with a few hours of conversion time?... (and vice versa)

3. Will the Skybolt perform reasonably well (not a dog) on an IO-320 F/P when flying from 5000' field elevations? I live in Illinois now, but moving to Longmont, Colorado may be in my future. Should I keep a constant speed prop addition in mind if I ever make the move to Colo?

4. My wife only has about 25 hours of tailwheel time in a J-3... is a transition from a J-3 to a Skybolt a safe and reasonable one if approached cautiously?

5. Does anyone know anything about this Skybolt? http://www.gardneraircraft.com/planeviewpic.php?id=221

Thanks for your input.

-Glenn

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back