• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

A Grandson's Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starduster II

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
A little about my Aviator Grandson. He grew up around flying since his Dad is/was a Naval Aviator and spending time at our house. He was signed off by his Dad and soloed our 7GC Champion, Piper Pacer, a neighbors Pa-18 and my Bonanza on his 16th birthday. He still couldn't drive a car by himself because they had just moved to TX from WA.
He received his Private at 17 in the Champ and his Commercial Single and Multi Land at 18. He also has seaplane and Instrument Rating along with an A&P license. His total time is probably around logged 3000-3500 hrs. from CUBs, Stearmans, SNJs, Barons, Bonanzas, Carbon Cubs wheels and floats, RV-8s, some I can't remember and the best of all A Starduster Too.
He works for friend of ours who is the Cub Crafter Dealer for TX, OK, LA, AK. selling, building Carbon Cubs, and delivering all types of planes but mainly Carbon Cubs.
Last July he had the opportunity to buy a house and hangar on Fairview Airport Airpark which is North of Ft Worth. Trey bought a house and hangar after he retired from the Navy in 2019 on this Airpark. Makes it easy for me to go visit.:)
Anyway that is a little of what Chad does

I hope I have not bored you to much and Moderators if this isn't appropriate let me know. Since I'm the new Guy I don't know all of the rules.
Thanks, Jim

Three Generations Son Trey in the SNJ-4, me, and Grandson Chad in a friends Stearman
1673668914569.png

When it all started. Chad's first flight with Trey and me in a Cub. It's a family tradition that your first flight is in a Cub.
1673669869479.png

Chad and our friend Robbie Vajdos ferrying two Stearmans from GA. to Texas
1673668262022.png

Chad flew Robbie's Stearman to the Jennings LA Stearman Fly-In
1673667706495.png

Chad received the youngest Stearman Pilot Award he was 18
1673667534324.png

Chad along with his wife have built several owner assist Carbon Cub builds for customers at the Cub Crafters Factory
1673668821906.png

Ferrying a Carbon Cub from the Yakama WA. Factory to Texas He has made this trip many many times.
1673670009614.png

This 7GC Champion was rebuilt by my neighbor over a 6 year period. I did the finish painting and helped with the fabric work among other things. After he passed from cancer Trey and I bought the Champ in 2001. When Chad received his private in the Champ in 2012 we signed the Champ over to him.
He received his private at 17 and his first passenger was his Grandmother my wife
1673666340013.png

His High School Graduation picture.
1673666070247.png

Not a typical Champ panel

1673671962934.png

This is the newest Hayden 6th Generation Aviator
Hey Dad I want the keys I'm ready to solo
1673674055018.png

Three Generations flying Trey in the Citabria and Chad in the Carbon Cub with Wife and Son
1673674194520.png

Latest posts

Back