• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

A question on grain orientation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvairwerks

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to work up a cap strip order for the flaps on my Fairchild restoration project, and need a little guidance.

Is there a point where grain direction on short lengths of cap strip becomes critical? I'm looking at the SRM for the Fairchild, and it lists the various sizes of cap strip for each of the flap ribs, but doesn't list a grain orientation. Some are easy, as the sizes are square dimensions, but others are rectangular form.

As to what the callouts on the drawings are, I can't answer that, as I haven't found the drawings yet. There are 9 rolls of microfilm with something on the order of 14,000 drawings to go thru. The drawing index is about 80 pages of tables in 6 or 8 point type, and it's a bit slow to find things on it. :(
The book gross weight on it is 12,500 and top speed is just over 220 mph, to give you an idea on size...

An example is that for a number of ribs, the lower capstrip is 1/4 x 5/16 and the verticals are 5/16 x 3/8 and the upper is a lamination of two pieces of 1/8 x 5/16.

I'd like to get some of the material on order, but don't want to order the wrong stuff. Unfortunately there are no parts for the flaps, other than the metal hinges to even look at for visual guidance. It's been over 30 years since I did any aircraft woodwork other than some minor plywood patching.

All assistance is most appreciated...

Latest posts

Back