• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

A time capsule discovered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne

Reaction score
Greetings all,

We often hear about really cool planes found abandoned in barns, etc. etc., but I always viewed the stories with skepticism. Well....I found one.

A local vocational tech school was given a Skybolt project, untouched and in original boxes, crates, etc. Literally untouched since 1978. The school did not want it, I found out about it, went to see it and bought it on the spot.

The fuselage was welded by Mac's company in Tempe, AZ, which makes it a Firebolt, from what I am told. Marquat gear, new wheels, Scott tailwheel, mirror finish firewall in box, all fittings for the wings in boxes, all ribs stacked on a jig, spars completed, tail welded and boxed, six tubes of original plans with hand written notes from Mac and what look to be some from Hale and on and on. Boxes containing huge amounts of bolts
uts...labeled for each job. Too much to inventory right now. The gentleman who bought it was an airline pilot, developed cancer in 1980 and never touched it. Kept it in his hangar all these years, while he and his wife flew their Cessna 180. I recently went to meet her and learned that he passed away in August. She said he had hoped to live to see it fly and she was thrilled that it would finally be started. I decided right then and there to make it happen.

I plan on sorting through it all soon and I'm sure I'll have many questions later. I am in the process of completing a rebuild on a Meyer Little Toot (about a year away from completion), so I'll only be doing limited work on this plane for a while.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back