• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Access covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem, my hand will not fit through a standard access cover, not close, not ever, not nohow. I have searched the web for oversize covers but found nothing so I guess I get to roll my own. By the time I build 3 plywood access covers for the bottom of each lower wing to access aileron linkage etc. I should be an expert 😩
I do have one problem area I don't know what to do and am looking for suggestions. I have enclosed a photo. It is the electric servo unit that operates the trim tab. It is just behind the trailing edge of the turtledeck. I can get it apart if necessary through a standard 3.5" cover - getting it plugged back in would be another story. I am thinking I need to get my hand in there to re-install the D-sub plug. I have very limited access through the plexiglass covers around the elevator tubes plus the triangle in the bottom of the frame has a removable carbon cover which may or may not help.
If I need to do the custom cover route what would I attach inside the fabric to attach the cover to ?
In my mind I would need to attach a large reinforcement patch inside the fabric before shrinking it then cut the access hole and glue some reinforcement inside then fold an 1" or so of the fabric inside over the reinforcement.
And, if I use an aluminum cover plate how is that attached to the "whatever" reinforcement ?
Am I even close to being on the correct path ?
Thank you Gentlemen,
(I liked it better when we had girls on here occasionally ) 😍

DSCF0016.jpg

Latest posts

Back