• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acro Duster Too Fatality in Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Have been chatting with the ATSB in Australia regarding this accident and thought it would be of interest to anyone especially one that has the SA-750 Acroduster Too or the SA-700 single place Acroduster I also think that this might apply to the SA101 Super Starduster. Although only two were ever built and Mark has the only one currently flying N191DG.

Hello David,

My name is Eric Blankenstein, I am an aircraft accident investigator and I work for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (equivalent of the NTSB). Jim Irwin was kind enough to pass on some information to you about the Acroduster accident we have had here in Australia. Thank you for the detailed information you have passed on through Jim about the history of the Acroduster and in particular the history of cabane strut upper attachment issues. We are in the final stages of approval for a preliminary report and a safety advisory notice to inform owners of the Acroduster about issues relating to the wing upper attachment bolts. We need to inform as many owners of Acroduster aircraft as possible about the accident and more importantly the safety issues as it relates to the upper attachment bolts. We would like to know the best way/s to convey a safety message in the US so that it will reach as many Acroduster owners as possible.

We have currently written in our report that the wing attachment point issue relates to the Acroduster and other similar types. Are you able to give any detail about what other Starduster types have the same or very similar upper wing attachment points? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2021/aair/ao-2021-032/
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/266839

I have since responded to his inquiry an supplied him with what information I have. As most of you know there are several posts and a string of threads pertaining to this issue already posted on the board, however up until this time none were fatal. The preliminary report does not site the cabane strut eye bolts as the culprit, but do to his e-mail it appears that this is what failed. And I surmise apparently is what led to further structural failure? I was unaware that this Acroduster Too was in Australia, it was built in the US in 1980, and registered as N97177. Then imported to Australia in 2002 and registered as VH-YEL it is unknown if the pilot owner was aware of this issue. We will await the final conclusion but thought this needs to be out on the board, and if anyone else has something to add that may be helpful or of interest, please post it. Dave

Attachments

• AcroDuster Too  VH-YEL.jpg
    AcroDuster Too VH-YEL.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back