• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acro Sport II - LSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEflyer

Reaction score

While looking at my plans and the specs printed on them, a question came to mind; Can an Acro II be built as an LSA? I read some posts about an Acro I being built LSA but not an Acro II. It looks likethe IIfalls within the specs of an LSA with the exceptions being the stall speed (53 mph, 2 mph too high) and gross weight (1,520 lbs., 200 lbs. too high).
As I understand it, the builder establishes the gross weight and phase 1 flight testing establishes the stall speeds. I would suspect that the stall speed at a gross weight 200 lbs. less than the prototype would fall below 51 mph. One would need to be careful and keep the empty weight close to the prototype (or preferably around 820 lbs) for the maximum useful load. But if the gross is established at 1,320 lbs. and the aircraft stalls at or below 51 mph., then could an Acro II be considered LSA compliant?

I like the idea of an LSA that is both a biplane and aerobatic. Neither of which are very plentiful in LSA's. At this time I still am able to obtain medical certification but one day, maybe about the time the Acro is built, I might want to just go light sport pilot and enjoy sunny day sport flying.

Thanks in advance for the any and all input.

Latest posts

Back