• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acroduster 2 CG woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you build an airplane for a purpose different than it's original design goal it can be difficult.

(Mark, do you have another relatively cheap DM74 prop?):rolleyes:

The Acroduster 2 seems to have been designed with a IO360 angle valve engine w/CS prop on a 20" mount. At least that's what my factory mount is. So I come along wanting a LSA compliant airplane and find I can manage to do it as a single place with a IO320 with metal FP prop on a 24" mount although I had to add a 13# hunk of steel to the generator pad to be within CG with zero fuel.

When I decided to put Marcia in the front pit my woes started and the CG would go aft of limit with less than 12 gal. of fuel which coupled with wanting to stay below 1320# gross posed a problem. Alas the engine went south and most of you know the rest of the story so the issue went away....

Fast forward a couple years and I find myself building another engine. I decided to solve the CG issue for ever by building a longer mount. Meanwhile I sold my old new prop but I have a wood prop which I figured would not only give me extra useful load but be easier on my thin "G" crank flange.

So I start running the numbers to see how long to make my new mount. Bottom line I simply can't do it without making the airplane look stupid not to mention the strength of the mount as you make it longer. It would just barely work 2-place with a 28" mount & metal prop. But with my wood prop it's marginal single place.

If I had a standard solid flange I'd consider a hunk of steel bolted in front of prop to approximate the weight of a CS but probably not with the G flange.

OH WELL

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back