• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acroduster 2 Vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be out done by the SkyBolt guys with a vibration, my Acroduster 2 has one too. I'm into the 3rd hour of flying the new engine and the vibration is profound. Lots of things different. Conical mount, wood propeller are main ones but as some of you might recall it was an un-resolved vibration that led me to finally pull the first engine and stop flying the airplane. Since the engine was indeed making metal I suspected the cam was going. The fellow who bought the engine saidone lobe was damaged but not that bad so my vibration might not have been the engine after all?

Anyway I flew almost a half hour yesterday. Pretty warm and oil tempstopped at 200F. Today I think I'll check propeller torque and maybe index it 180 degrees. Time to cut the filter too. Check torque on wires especially tail. I have one flying wire doing the buzz in a heavy slip, might take it off and give the clevis 1/2 turn? This is the first engine I've assembled myself so i'm a little spooked and staying high over the airport.....

The airplane was decent single place even on a hot day with 160 ponies and metal prop but it suffers with 10 less HP and wood prop not to mention a little heavier. I have a Sen 74DM6-60 and may bite the bullet and have it repitched?

Another thing. The AD2 like many of our planes has a too short gear and drags the tail in a full stall landing. Now with less TO performance I note the same thing on takeoff. Reallty noticeable. I'll lift the tail, run it up to 70IAS and rotate. It should fly but the tail will hit firmly and it won't fly off unless you force it or let it get faster. Never noticed that with the other engine/prop. Most noticeable as DA goes up.

Better saddle-up the SV650S, get to the airport and go back to work. Put hay up first thing this morning and I think I'm almost recovered?

Jack

Latest posts

Back