Acroduster II tailwheel failure

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by nickcrossfield, Nov 11, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 11, 2017 #1

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

Hey everyone I own an acroduster II and had my tail wheel fall off and ruin the hub . Debating on installing the same Lang D-501A assembly(i hear they are prone to failure) or switch it out to the homebuilders 6inch double fork which seems to be heavier duty, what do you folks have on your planes? and any advise on the subject? Thank you for the help!

2. Nov 11, 2017 #2

Saber

Saber

Saber

Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is only one that seems to last and work in Alaska in the bush -Scott / ABW 3200. I have four with them, one not flying yet.

3. Nov 12, 2017 #3

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

The Homebuilders 6inch double fork is also very popular. That’s what’s on my Ranger powered Starduster Too. I haven’t flown it much since I had to do a restore. But I’ve heard great things from others about them. The Scott 3200 is also a good tailwheel it’s the Alaskan Bush Tailwheel now. It just not worth the price in my opinion when the API/ Homebuilders 6” double fork has a great reputation also.

DHonkomp likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2017 #4

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Let’s see a pic of your AcroDuster Too also!

5. Nov 12, 2017 #5

DHonkomp

DHonkomp

DHonkomp

I have the Homebuilders 6 inch double fork tailwheel on my Starduster Too and it works great. They are priced very reasonable. As a mater of fact, I think a guy has one for sale on the Aircraft Spruce Starduster forum.

nickcrossfield likes this.
  6. Nov 12, 2017 #6

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

I had the same thing happen to me with a Lang tailwheel. The fault is in the replacement tires from what I understand.

Anyway, I use the API (homebuilders soecial) tailwheel in my Eagle too. Works great.

nickcrossfield likes this.
  7. Nov 12, 2017 #7

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

Cool! thanks for all the help! I think the home builder is the way to go! But i wonder why that guy is selling his after taxing for 30 minutes..hmm

8. Nov 13, 2017 #8

DHonkomp

DHonkomp

DHonkomp

Here's a picture of my installation. The springs are for a Citabria, and I got them pretty reasonable from Wag Aero.

100_1945.jpg

9. Nov 14, 2017 #9

Saber

Saber

Saber

https://youtu.be/QtokU8mIDQk Look at this video it's one of the best tailwheel setting I've seen. Also look on Supercub.org for a pearceaero video on tailwheels. The last two tailwheel airplanes ive worked on were ground loops from tailwheel problems.

10. Nov 14, 2017 #10

Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Registered Users Supporting Member

Had the tyre fall off my Lang 501a but I'd been supplied with the wrong item i.e 6x2 Aero Classic p/n 06-01044.

There is a warning on Aircraft Spruce's web page that this tyre should not be used on Lang 501a. Too late for me, I had to buy a new wheel......

Correct, but expensive, item is 6x2 General Tire p/n 06-15800.

11. Dec 22, 2017 #11

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

nickcrossfield

Hey everyone thanks for the help! The homebuilder tail wheel arrived and I'm loving it, seems to be a lot better built than the Lang and significantly cheaper!

12. Feb 7, 2018 #12

DennisV

DennisV

DennisV

FWIW, I am a fan of the Scott/ABW tailwheel and have that on the Sportsman (which has a much heavier tail than the 'Dusters), but I think that Homebuilder model looks like it would work very well on this airplane. However, when I get to that point I'm probably going to use the T3 tailwheel suspension rather than the steel springs. The Sportsman uses a 3-leaf steel spring, and it has had a lot of negative issues. I put a T3 suspension on it and it is a completely different airplane on the ground: Taxis better, steers better, lands better, no shimmy. And waaaay cool.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/T3-Tailwheel-Suspension-Systems-s/1899.htm

13. Feb 7, 2018 #13

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ooh, that's neat. I'm a fan of coil-over springs, though, and may be looking at them for my Charger landing gear, evaluating the pros and cons over the plan's rubber donuts. I didn't realize anyone was making a shock-enabled tailwheel system like this.

14. Feb 7, 2018 #14

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

I had that happen on my first biplane, the Skybolt... I came in to land and heard some grinding in the rear. Then I saw my tailwheel tire pass my up :)
    It was also a Lang. Go with the API (Homebuilders special).

15. Feb 7, 2018 #15

DennisV

DennisV

DennisV

Like I said, I put it on the Sportsman and it made an incredible difference. I was lucky to get to work with Dan Dufault (Supercubs North) to re-design and adapt the mounting system for the Sportsman and now quite a few of the guys have been installing this thing. I think one of the stock models (the web site I posted) should bolt right up on the 'Duster.

DSCN2341-800.jpg

16. Feb 7, 2018 #16

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

Sure looks heavy, bolts, brackets, a coil spring.
    You'll have to forgive me I have a weight fetish.

smizo likes this.
  17. Feb 7, 2018 #17

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

A friend showed me this two years ago when my spring broke taking out the rudder. But the weight and complexity made me shy away.

18. Feb 7, 2018 #18

DennisV

DennisV

DennisV

It weighed within 2 ounces of the original steel spring suspension (was actually lighter). I'm not sure that the 'Duster needs the one with the dual coil-over-springs. There's one model that has a single spring (I think it was designed for the Carbon Cub) that might work better on our planes. Might want to run that question by the folks at Airframes Alaska.

As for complexity, really not. Bolt to the airplane, bolt the tailwheel unit to it. Easy-peasy. And no, I don't work for them and have no interest in the company or the product. Just sharing info. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Feb 12, 2018 #19

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

I looked at these and never saw a weight. I believe there was an article in kitplanes? Anyway I’d be very curious on weight also. I just wonder how they would hold up? What’s the empty weight of the Sportsman? What’s the tail weigh?

20. Feb 12, 2018 #20

DennisV

DennisV

DennisV

Am working with the manufacturer to determine which would be the appropriate model to best fit the 'Duster. Once we have that answer, I'll pass the info along, including weights. Stay tuned. Should have something in a day or two.

To answer your specific questions, the Sportsman is a 2350 MTOGW airplane, and the tailwheel weight on mine is 126 lbs. I have the T3 with two coil-overs, and all-in, brackets and hardware and everything, mine weights 7 lbs 3 oz. That is less than the weight of the steel spring I took off it.

However, I think there's a single shock model that would work beautifully on the 'Duster and would be even lighter. What is the typical tailwheel weight on one of these things (assuming the mains 8" aft of firewall, correct engine mount length, etc.)?

As for how they would hold up, not even a contest. This thing is made for heavy duty, off-field, back country bush flying.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018