• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

AcroSport II For Sale

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So my buddy is selling his AcroSport II. he only had it for a few months but thats how it goes with him. he moves airplanes. buys and sells a few a year. ive flown this airplane, and gave it a once over during its condition inspection. its starting to show its age slightly but its a good solid aircraft, well built airframe! it was built in 83, and some things show that but mechanically its a sound airframe. we added brakes to the front, and took the huge brake reservoir out. replaced with grove units on the master cylinders. also added an airspeed indicator to the front. flies straight, ailerons all in trail perfectly. compressions all in the mid 70s. very low time engine, i believe it was overhauled in 08. only bad part is the hartzel A hub prop. removing that and installing a catto would be great for this airplane. no inverted anything except flop tube. we just did the condition inspection in april. if theres any questions i can answer them or contact Tom.

ACROSPORT II W FRESH 0360 • $32,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • 105 TTAF 32 SMOH on Lycoming 0360 A1A Poplar Grove Airmotive New Limit OH. New Cylinders, pistons Rings, mags, harness, motor mounts, SS exhaust. 5 point belt in back, 4 point in front. Rudder pedals, brakes, throttle and mix up front. NICE and clean frame. Fabric excellent shape. Clevland wheels and brakes. New matco tailwheel, connectors and tailwheel spring. Hartzel CS Prop. Hub AD inspected and yellow tagged. Firewall forward clean and dry. Looking to Make a deal. Clean title, turn key plane. 26 Gal tank. • Contact Thomas Malinchak - MALINCHAK AIRCRAFT, LLC, Owner - located Factoryville, PA USA • Telephone: 570 267-6511 . • Posted June 2, 2013

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=784487

slivings2012

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading some emails on this one. The fact that I'm just about ready to move on something, and it's fairly close to me (I'm in rochester, NY, Its in PA) is making it really difficult not to go look at it. This would be my first airplane purchase, so being very careful.

Vilhelm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice it still has the Harley Davidson windshield on the reat cockpit. :) Also noticed is the loopcable for the rudder with the pulleywheels sitting low on the horisontal crosstube. This makes for some friction and was changed on later plans to a higher position on the vertical tubes.

slivings2012

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the fact that it's an older build makes me think twice, considering the improvements that have probably been made since. Looking at Skybolts with similar power as well. This one being so close makes it very attractive though, where-as a simlilar priced Skybolt (but newer build) is all the way across the country from me.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike Chris's ASII (Smizo)... most of the builds out there are "old". Chris is plowing through his build like there is no tomorrow. It takes YEARS... to build an airplane and a lot of the fuselages have been passed around once or twice...

I've been on this site since 2006 and haven't seen many guys with their first flights yet. Me being one of the guys not having a first flight...

If the two things Vilhelm mentioned are the only things "wrong" with the biplane, and it's close enough to take a look-see... I'd take the look see.

I know a guy who bought a beautiful Kelly D from a guy who did a beautiful job on it (this guys has built many nice airplanes)... it's been YEARS since he bought it... it was brand-spankin-new when he bought it... he STILL hasn't flown it because he wants to change one thing or another on it. It's never good enough for him to fly... (just sayin'...)

Last edited:

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know how I missed these posts. Sorry for the delay. Sure some improvements have been made over the years and this is an older build...... But...... It's very well built. I went over the entire airplane while it was apart for its inspection. I flew it 2 weeks ago and it's a good, straight flying airplane. I wouldn't worry too much about the out dated items on the plane they are not safety of flight issues. I've seen some poorly constructed amateur built airplanes but this isn't one of them. Otherwise I wouldn't have put my name on it or be helping him sell it. As for the windshield, Tom tried a normal lower one but the wind just bails down on you so he went back to the skidoo windshield haha! Anyways if you want to swing down and take a look let me know, I can arrange it. Send me a pm. Keep in mind that the engine has just been overhauled with about 30 hrs on it now so that's a great price. You'll have lots of time to play with it before it needs engine work. It was an engine shop that did it as well so it wasn't some bottom of the barn field overhaul. Lemme know.......

Plus if you come down for a look at least I'd get a chance to meet another forum member..... :)

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The only real changes that have happened on Acro Sport is that the front seat forward cross tube goes all the way across and the landing gear fitting gussets were added. As to the front loop cable on the rudder, it is probably best to just leave it off and use some light springs on the front pedals. There have been a number of plans corrections but little has been done otherwise.

slivings2012

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, and considering what I've seen of your work on here, its valuable input. I think that I will try to get down there and look at it, but not sure I can for a couple weeks. Hopefully it will still be available.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sure thing. The landing gear gusset mod has been done. Differently than Neil, myself and others have done, but that gear ain't breaking off at the attach fittings like some have! If you arrange to meet up with Tom and swing down make sure to let me know, he's right across the taxiway from me....

slivings2012

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to Tom this morning, and I will be coming down this week to check it out. Not sure exactly when yet, still looking for someone with the right experience to check it out with me.

Reaction score
The pictures of it on e gay are pretty good. It looks like a solid airplane to me. Price out a low time 180hp Lycoming w/ a constant speed and a complete set of flying and landing wires and you will learn that the airplane is free. You can get that airplane home and personalize it easily. That motorcycle windshield comes off easy. Lot of recent new parts listed. Aren't I good with spending OPM ?(other people's money)

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm around every day except Saturday. Got a wedding in NJ to go to.....

darylat8750

Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid of an old build. I had a lot of fun in a 1938 Dart. Rather the definition of "an old build". ;)

Latest posts