• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acrosport II Wing Inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRM

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of an Acrosport II built by a fellow in Wadsworth OH in the mid 90s. I have flown the aircraft for about 300 hours since I purchased it in 2003. During that period, I performed owner assisted annuals signed by my friendly A&P/A&I.

The wings were constructed with minimal provisions for internal inspection. Specifically, the upper wings have no inspection holes or provisions for inspection holes, i.e. no inspection rings and fabric patches were installed during the initial cover job. One inch diameter holes with a steel cap are provided to enable access to the flying wire nuts. The lower wings each have an inspection hole that allows access to service the bell crank assembly and one inch diameter holes for access to the landing wire nuts. Similarly, no provisions have been made for future inspection holes.

Recently I sought the services of a new A&P, a fellow with fairly extensive tube and fabric B-plane experience and former builder of a Christen Eagle. My new A&P is advising me to open up the four wings of my Acrosport for detailed inspection, by cutting a minimum of 6 inspection holes in the bottom of each wing to allow inspection of each termination of the drag and antidrug wires at the compression ribs and pull blocks. He noted that the compression ribs are not solid and similar construction in the Pitts and Eagle had exhibited some failures.

I have an original green plan set for the Arco II, but it does not show any recommendations for the installation of inspection holes in the wing assemblies. Is there any guidance available? For example, American Champion Corp provides very specific recommendations for locating spar inspection holes in Service letter 417 Rev C.

Has anyone considered large drain holes allowing insertion of a borescope?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back