ACS Ignition Harnesses - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Lycoming & Continental' started by Patric_L, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Dec 12, 2017 #1

Patric_L

Patric_L

Patric_L

Registered Users

Hey guys,

we are planning on doing a rebuild on our Bendix Mags this winter. We'd like to use this situation also for changing the ignition harnesses on our O-320 since our cables are pretty old and used at some points. While looking at new options I found the ACS harnesses (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/shieldedharness.php?clickkey=3521) -> looks like a good price if the quality is right.

Does anybody on this forum have some experience with these products?

thanks for answers

Patric

2. Dec 12, 2017 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

I bought one of their Slick harnesses a few years ago, wasn't impressed with the quality, returned it. I ended up buying genuine Slick parts on ebay for much less money and assembled my own harness.

3. Dec 12, 2017 #3

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users Supporting Member

I just bought a set of Kelleys. It's a new (to me) engine and I haven't flown it yet. On the ground they so far have done the very simple job asked of them. They came with all the attachment zip ties and snake clamps to make the installation pretty. BUT they are almost twice as expensive as the ACS house brand. Apparently I didn't mind the expense because I bought two thinking it was per mag. ACS says that I am not the first to have done that so I don't feel so bad.

PGE2015 likes this.
  4. Dec 12, 2017 #4

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

The company helicopters I work on started having radio problems with the Kelly orange wire; two different helicopters with different radio packages with factory OH engines. We ended up getting some slick harnesses. Try and find a slick harness for a bendix duel mag; it's hard to do. I will probably have to wire our harnesses from now on.

5. Dec 15, 2017 #5

Patric_L

Patric_L

Patric_L

Registered Users

Thanks to all for your replies...:)

I googled a bit these days and found 2-3 other complaints about the quality in different forums about the ACS cable...so I tend to choose something different now.

Cheers
    Patric