• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Adjustable Seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt540

Reaction score

I was looking at Al's very nice website and saw the photos of the adjustable seats on some unidentified owner's fuselage. This is a very, very bad idea.
The seats provide all the torsional stiffness for the fuselage between the aft cabane structure and everythingaft of the seats. They are an integral part of the structure that transfers all sorts ofload conditions. Take a good hard look at the structure and visualize how the load flows if you were to twist it. With the fuselage with the adjustable seats, there's no appreciable stiffness. There's going to be a tremendous amount of stress on the longerons after a snap roll, or even after 4-pointers. I'll bet you'll be able to feel the "springiness" in the aircraft from the rear seat. This setup is just begging for big trouble.

Setup the seats to fit you and whoever will be doing most of the flying with you and weld 'em in! I'm a pretty short guy at 5'6", so I raised the seat frame about an inch and a half.Besides, adding anything adds weight! Don't do it!

Latest posts

Back