Adsb

Discussion in 'Electrical & Instrumentation' started by RKO, Feb 27, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 27, 2018 #1

RKO

RKO

RKO

Registered Users

Looking at going with Garmin like the 330 or 345 which apparently will talk to my Area 660 GPS and my iPad.

Lets see some pics and opinions on what other Eagle owners are doing?

2. Feb 27, 2018 #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would like to see some as well, least complex, and least expensive for our small biplanes? Dave

3. Feb 28, 2018 #3

RKO

RKO

RKO

Registered Users

Crickets........

Please do not all reply at once! One at a time! Single file line please! HA!

4. Feb 28, 2018 #4

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Lots of good used KT76A transponders stacked up in avionics shops gathering dust. Get a shop to throw in a couple of them along with a deal to buy the Garmin GDL-82. Some are advertising $1,795 installed but I'm sure that's for a Wichita or FLA built variety.

5. Feb 28, 2018 #5

race38

race38

race38

Member Lifetime Supporter

Not an Eagle owner, but it depends on current equipment and what your desires are.
    Me, I intend to use the uAvionix stuff with my old radios. If I had higher end equipment I would consider an upgrade. But when the cost of the radios is worth more than the airplane, I don't see it.

6. Feb 28, 2018 #6

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

uAvionics SkyBeacon (experimental) and Garmin GDL-82 (certified) are the obvious choices if you already have a good transponder. If you don't, the Stratus ESG (certified) is still the best choice as an all-in-one transponder/ADS-B/WaaS GPS box. If you already have a GPS and want to use it, it's time to do research, 'cause there are a lot of choices out there. I have found the AOPA ADS-B chooser to be useful:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/ads-b-selector

RKO likes this.
  7. May 5, 2018 #7

RKO

RKO

RKO

Registered Users

I went with a GDL-82 setup .....probably upgrade my Narco 150 with a Digital Garmin GTX-337 as they are selling for $500 used but "certified".

The GDL-82 was the way to go overall price and Garmin quality/support.

8. May 5, 2018 #8
  9. May 6, 2018 #9

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just installed the Uavionix Echo UAT. Works great and provides adsb in and out. $1400. Weighs less than half a pound, wiring etc included.

x2flycrj likes this.
  10. Jul 31, 2018 #10

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Lifetime Supporter

Any announcements at KOSH regarding new ADSB options?

11. Aug 26, 2018 #11

Mark Barrieault

Mark Barrieault

Mark Barrieault

Gents,

I installed the skyBeacon on my SkyBolt in less than a hour and a half from start to finish. All you need is a screwdriver, wire crimpers and a smart phone
    to down load the app and pair the SkyBeacon to your aircraft’s transponder.

This website, http://www.avionictools.com/icao.php will give you the ICAO codes need to complete the installation.

Hope this helps the community.

starn11gy likes this.
  12. Aug 26, 2018 #12

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

The “new”, “TailBeacon” is looking good to me. I assume it’s the same as the wingtip one just located on tail. It keeps things uniform looking I think. Anyone try one of them yet? I’m still waiting till I actually have the Range Duster running to worry about ADSB but I do like to try and know what my options are. I know I don’t want to spend $3000plus on a new transponder.

13. Aug 26, 2018 #13

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Nice only problem is, I don’t have Nav lights... :-(

14. Aug 26, 2018 #14

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member

15. Aug 26, 2018 #15

cashflyer

cashflyer

cashflyer

Just to add more mud to the ADS-B waters.... AWST reports that:

The Defense Department conducts GPS interference for purposes such as system testing and design and during military exercises, to replicate a realistic scenario in which aircraft navigate and weapons systems operate in GPS-degraded environments.

The number of events has been increasing annually, and the events can be "hundreds of miles wide". For reference, a coverage circle that is 100 miles wide affects an area of nearly 8000 sq miles.

AWST states, "Loss of GPS (or degradation of GPS reliability) in an aircraft equipped to report its position via ADS-B causes that aircraft to be LOST as a target" for systems looking for the ADS-B signal from the aircraft ("in" systems).

This presents a problem for the FAA's strategy to decommission some Secondary Surveillance Radars as ADS-B becomes the primary means of surveillance. The FAA plans to decommission 80% of all terminal radar systems.

The Tactical Operations Committee has informed the FAA that the FAA's current GPS resiliency plan, namely the reliance on the VOR network, is INSUFFICIENT to maintain the continuity of their NexGen Airspace plans.

There's much more to the article, but my take-away and comments are thus:
    • The FAA infrastructure is already insufficient to move forward with the plan to put the air traffic control burden on pilots via NexGen.
    • The FAA already allows a single GPS unit to be the sole source of navigation in an aircraft.
    • DOD is dicking with the GPS signals and putting flights at risk, and the FAA has no authority to stop it.
    • The ADS-B implementation is a flawed and dangerous means of air traffic control.
    • The FAA wants to cut their expenditures on infrastructure, but I bet they don't want to take a budget cut.

16. Aug 27, 2018 #16

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

It is the DOD's signal. What is also interesting is the DOD has told the FAA that their planes will not be compliant as a fleet and they don't really want it, so they can't be watched anytime they are just flying around.

17. Aug 27, 2018 #17

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

None of that changes the fact that the FAA is going to be handing out fines if you're flying in transponder airspace without ADS-B Out come 2020. They've said over and over that the date isn't changing. Just because DoD is getting tetchy about how their tech is used doesn't change the regs for civilian pilots.

Flybipe likes this.
  18. Aug 27, 2018 #18

ioneater

ioneater

ioneater

One flip of "the switch" by the DoD for national security reasons and we'll be back to the early days of GPS where accuracy was inconsistent...intentionally. We had to load crypto keys called p/y codes into the EGI in order to obtain a +/- 1 meter degree of accuracy for tactical navigation and target designation. That requirement for keys to obtain the high accuracy went away sometime during the Clinton era but we still had to load them in case the switch was flipped again. The low power GPS signals are easy to jam locally and can be spoofed, tricking the receiver into thinking it's somewhere else essentially. I love the RNAV GPS/LPV approaches we use now but I think it is a potentially weak link to rely so much on GPS without a solid secondary source for external navaids. God forbid we go back to a map and compass and actually have to look outside for landmarks!

Don Adamson likes this.
  19. Aug 27, 2018 #19

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Boeing/Honeywell were ready to take out the IRS receivers and just have a vertical platform for attitude and use solely GPS signals... Several of the International FAA counterparts and carriers said NO WAY.. they rightly were not going to be solely and daily dependent on another country for their airplanes navigation accuracy. We’re going to have to decide what’s more important. My darn cell phone knows more accurately where it is (even with the gps off) than our old way of navigating...

20. Sep 7, 2018 #20

Mark Barrieault

Mark Barrieault

Mark Barrieault