• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Adventures in mounting an oil cooler in a S1-11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I know it is possible. I have seen them installed. Many pictures all helpful but somehow mine seems a little different.

But I have no clue if this is adequate airflow or how to mount it where it is sitting. I started with a RV baffle kit and the part by the oil cooler is mostly cut out to fit under the cowing. So bracing an oil cooler there would be tough and also trying to attach the oil cooler to the baffles is not really possible due to the engine mount. The upper cowling brace takes even more from this area. I am not even sure if I can find enough baffle space for the plug wires to go through and the magneto cooling duct. I can see why some place the oil cooler in the nose bowl. I am sure if I had a wider angle valve that I could alleviate some of the engine mount issues. I will notch the flanges on the oil cooler some and have the barrel spaces to prevent flange cracking. Also I have ordered up some of those UMPCO clamps from Aviat (Thanks Bill!), just in case.

Just a note on the RV baffle kit. It is all aluminum and it seems it will be very susceptible to fatigue cracking. I think it should be steel.

Anyway I have crudely tie wrapped the oil cooler to a possible position. Any thoughts?

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

Latest posts

Back