• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Adventures with OpenAero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I found an old Unlimited Free sequence I intended to fly at the '79 Fond du Lac contest. I'm not sure after all these years if it was the sequence I used in '78, if it was based on the older one or if it's completely different. When Wes posted a thread about an OpenAreo issue I decided to give the software a try by imputing that old sequence into OpenAero to see how I fared.

The alerts are pretty funny as well as instructive. The alerts tell me I repeated base figures too many times and used the same rolls multiple times, I have too much total K, I have no snaps and I need 'opposite rolls' (whatever that means). The sequence was legal to the rules as they existed in those days. Almost all the maneuvers were explicit in the Aresti manual with very limited freedom to construct maneuvers from their component parts. So what OpenAero sees as repeated Aresti numbers were originally explicitly shown maneuvers with unique Aresti numbers.

The total K is interesting too. The sequence was exactly 700K when it was designed -- it's now exactly 500K which is 80K too much for the current rules.

The sequence is very long, 25 maneuvers (that was the limit per the rules). This is because of the Aresti system that was in use at the time and the way the rules were written. You could add rolls to some basic maneuvers like hammerheads but not on others like Cubans, the downlines of spins, etc. We never used family 1 stuff because you weren't allowed to add stuff to those lines (and family 1 might have been off limits anyway). Figure 12 was originally family 7 maneuver, a half outside square loop (7.2.2.1 -- 18K), not the family 1 maneuver shown below (1.1.7.2 -- 12K). It was difficult to pile a lot of K onto one maneuver and as a result you had to fly more maneuvers to get to the 700K max target. I had to split the diagram into two parts so I could upload a legible image.

This sequence was designed for an S-1S flying in a box that had a 300 foot floor altitude (1000 meters of vertical space). It might be fun to fly it in an S-1S now to get a modern eye view of this old sequence.

The software is pretty cool. It took a while to figure out why rolls, snaps and spins were 'missing' from the list of Aresti figures but I eventually found them. It's a little clumsy try to tie the maneuvers together neatly but that might get easier with more experience. Even for a first try it was a huge improvement over doing all the paper work manually -- by hand. I used to do thi$ for some pilots because it was such a PITA. I could post the hand drawn sheets of this sequence with all the old Aresti numbers and K factors if there's any interest in seeing them.

Unlimited Free Bill Rose_square.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back