• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Advice Requested - Fuselage/Cabin size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_d

Reaction score
Hi all- Been flying a long time, but I am new to the homebuilding game. After a lot of research I purchased skybolt S and D plans. I have a few things I wanted to iron out which might be of concern regarding fuselage and particularly size of the cockpit.

I am 6'5" and 230, so I fill up an airplane quickly :)

My questions:

1. I notice the Skybolt fuselage has had a few modifications over the years. I am concerned with the dimensions of the front and back cockpits, and wondering about options for increasing the size of them without changing the entire structure or cg considerably. My main concern isnt width, its the panel being 2 feet in front of me. I have heard of builders moving the seat back slightly?

2. I notice the firebolt fuselage is 2 feet longer. Has anyone ever used that fuselage with the rest of the skybolt design (or is that question horribly simplistic in its assumptions?)

Thanks for your advice and -I know- its probably best that I go find one and sit in it :)

Pete D
Washington Crossing, PA

Latest posts

Back