• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aileron Arm Bearings -- S-2A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question that can't be answered by the parts book or any S-2 assembly drawings I have;

The upper arms on my airplane have a KSP3L on the right side and a K3L (not KP3L) on the left side. I noticed there was some rotational freedom on the right side slave strut and none on the left side. I figured it might be a bearing going bad but most likely it was a different bearing on that side because there was no free play in the ailerons. That turned out to be the case.

I know it doesn't really matter for the round slaves and maybe the factory was just using a cheapest option or the best 'in stock' option. Or maybe that bearing was replaced and the wrong one was used?? If/when I put streamline slaves on the airplane that bearing will have to be replaced anyway so I'm doing it now.

So, does anyone know if it is common to see a spherical bearing in the upper arms? It seems odd to me even with round slaves. I intend to replace that bearing with a KP3L which I happen to have in stock and is called out, along with the K3L, as the proper bearing in the S-1S plans......

Latest posts

Back