• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

aileron attachment points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on covering the wings now and have a question for the group. should I leave cutouts in the fabric where the aileron atttachment fitting bolts are. I know I have to leave a cut out area to attach the flying and landing wires but plan on covering up the aileron fittings as tight as I can. If I ever have to access them I can cut it out at that time but hate openings that can allow bees, wasps etc to have a dry place to build a nest. Ran into that problem years ago when I rebuilt an Aeronca L3B. The little guys loved the aileron attachment points, similar to the ASII design. I will have access holes on the inside edge of the spar but they will not be cut out until necessary for inspections of the aileron fitting attachment bolts. I guess I could fab some cover plates and use rivnuts to secure them.Any ideas?

I just finished smoothing out the leading edge, aluminum, with spot putty so I have a good looking leading edge. Storage caused some hanger rash but that is corrected now. Will start covering Thursday night after I sand the spot putty tomorrow night.

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02277.jpg

Latest posts

Back