• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aileron Mistake I Made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The ailerons were the first thing I tackled overa year ago now. Getting them out of storage, blowing the dust off etc, revealed a couple of boo-boo's that I did during the early baby stages of building....

- I didn't bevel/feather the hing ply doublers

- the rib spacing is off!!! [see pic].

This spacing error was caused by me incorrectly interpreting the scale of the plans at the first bay [C]. The rest are correct, but because of the first being off a touch, the rest followed suit and are slightly staggered [A]when matching up alignment to the main wing ribs .

This is really irritating me, but I don't want to build new ailerons :-|

I could glue on say,a 3/16 X 3/8 piece on the side of each rib [D], this would give a correct'visual' alignment flowing through the wing and aileron rib. Or should I just not bother seeing as in the scheme of things, when covered and painted it will all blend in?

Everything else is spot-on, ie. 1/2 inch gap each end of aileron, hinge centers are accurate.

20061125_130222_laignment.jpg

Latest posts

Back