• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aileron slave strut fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Tripp

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got tired yesterday of looking at the tattered fabric on the upper wing on my rebuild. The wings appear to be of the Firebolt design with three hinges. At some point it was recommended to use .250 aluminum for the slave struts bent to the appropriate shape. This appears to be a bodge with a flat piece of aluminium and wooden spacers to locate it. I don’t have Firebolt plans, so I don’t know if the aluminum is part of that design as well. The three hinges seem to be a solution to a problem that didn’t exist as well, my current plans show only two.

As the wings are naked, my options are;
1. Get the Firebolt plans and re-build the ailerons to conform to them.
2. Rebuild everything to Skybolt standard with two hinges and stock slave strut brackets. I have not measured, but visually, one hinge would have to be moved, this would leave me with eight empty bolt holes and four new holes in the spar for the relocated hinge. Not ideal.
3. Leave the three hinges and rebuild as required with stock slave strut brackets.

I am leaning towards option 3. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 8B2C58E4-0F5E-4A8C-9178-D531574497D5.jpeg
    8B2C58E4-0F5E-4A8C-9178-D531574497D5.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 99
  • B7B7D110-A062-460B-A93E-66517C5F4F0A.jpeg
    B7B7D110-A062-460B-A93E-66517C5F4F0A.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts

Back