• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aircraft Exhaust Systems

SONICH5

Reaction score
Sonic Headers Inc. had a great 2012..... Here are some photo's of systems completed

We look forward to the projects up coming in 2013 and hope to build many new relationships/friendships this year.

Check out the Company website to see what Sonic Headers Inc. can do for you.

Muffler Dual 3into1.jpg

Performance 3into1.jpg

PVC KIT tight fit.jpg

Finished PVC tight fit.jpg

RadialExhaust.jpg

M14p.jpg

custom rotax muffler 4into1.jpg

performance 4into1.jpg

ROTAX AIRCRAFT EXHAUST.jpg

T2.jpg

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a call to Todd at sonic headers late this past week. I ordered my mock up kit from another manufacturer. After receiving it I was not pleased with the workmanship. In fact some of the mock up parts were crooked, which would build a crooked exhaust. They sent me another one. This time it is dimensionally better but the quality isn't great. I know it's just a mock up part but it's a representation of the work. It should be nicer. Anyways, Todd has agreed to take my mockup built from another company and build my exhaust. Looking at his previous work I'm excited I went this route and look forward to working with sonic headers to build my custom exhaust. Thanks Todd!

SONICH5

Reaction score
I have done some research on that other company while renewing my corporation with the State of Minnesota.... It shows he filed Dissolution of Incorporation in 8/12? I know they continue to do business and claimed also to be a certified shop, but they hold no license as a repair station with the FAA. Buyer beware. If anyone else is experiencing problems with that company, I encourage you to report it.

Textailwind

Reaction score
I also started with the "other" company but eventually got concerned about the way they were handling my inquiry etc. I went ahead and sent a $500 deposit (big mistake) on a mock up kit but was not happy with what I got. I had been assured that I would get my refund back promptly if I decided to go another route. I opened the kit and was not happy with what I received so sent it back after boxing it back up in one week. That was in late Oct. I was informed by email after questioning when I could expect to get my refund and was told it would be coming shortly. This is Mid Feb and I still have not got my refund and they have not answered repeated email requests for information on my refund since November. Buyer beware.

chef

Registered Users
Reaction score
Had a similar experience....except I sent $200. still have not seen the refund 2 months later. last time I called, they said they were having "cash flow problems". Funny, my kit was originally delayed for weeks because they were so busy.

akt227

Reaction score
I bought a PVC mockup kit from the other company a few years ago when they were selling through Aircraft Spruce. The exhaust came back in a reasonably time just as I made it. It looked nice and performed quite well. Forty hours later it came apart. Truth be told, my suspension was probably inadequate, but that still seemed like a very short life. All the breaks were at welds, revealing metal flash from the cutoff wheel that did not burn away during welding.

He fixed it and sent it back. I was careful to hang it properly this time. Two years later the collector broke apart. This repair cost me $600. There were delays. I had to give him my address and contact info five seperate times. I finally got it back, but I am through with that company. I have concerns with workmanship and business practices.

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what happend to the other company. When i got my exhaust back in 2007 they produced a great product, answered the phones and email everything was very timely. When I rerouted two of my exhaust stacks late in 2008 they were prompt and friendly. Sounds like the company went down hill. I am a fan of using companies that return phone calls, emails and are prompt on service when they stop doing that then I stop using them.

Last edited:

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with them as we'll. but, that back in 2007 too. I'm kind of wish that my airplane wasn't on their site anymore.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So apparently sometime between when you guys got your systems made and the present the talent left the company for whatever reasons.

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
I feel like I walked in to the middle of a movie, who is the other company?

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bruce, posters are respecting the forum blanket rule of no negative vendor comments. PM one of the posters for an answer.

SONICH5

Reaction score
I was employed there from 2008 to some time around mid 2010. I left that company for several reasons of which I wont go into detail any more than to say I was not willing to compromise my personal morals or my business ethics for any company and there chase of the mighty dollar! I truly love the Fabrication of these exhaust systems and the involvement with each customers experience. I probably stayed to long there as my first few years into my company I have had to work hard to disassociate Sonic Headers Inc from them with both customers and Vendors. I expect many of there customers since my exit have had some bad experiences and money loss. I have remained patient growing our company and believe that eventually the company that gives the customers a superior product and excellent customer service will remain. Again any one who has been "Ripped Off" should at the least report it to help protect others from be taken. I also will honor any of the projects I did while there, because I stand behind my performance and the products I was involved in. If anyone needs assistance or has questions You can PM me here or go through the company website.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Hey Todd -

I currently have a 4:2 cross-over header system on my angle valve 360. Rather than work from a PVC mock up, could you guys work from the 4:2 headers? The exhaust pipes are tight together, so adapting to a 4:1 collector should be workable. Do you think I'd see any performance increase?

Forrest

SONICH5

Reaction score
Hey Todd -

I currently have a 4:2 cross-over header system on my angle valve 360. Rather than work from a PVC mock up, could you guys work from the 4:2 headers? The exhaust pipes are tight together, so adapting to a 4:1 collector should be workable. Do you think I'd see any performance increase?

Forrest

I don't believe a true tuned exhaust can be done using a cross over as the starting point. The 4 into 1 has two major points for its given performance. The Collector (Merge of the Primaries) and Equal length Primaries for each cylinder. There would be a gain in performance over a cross-over and the kit is really not that hard to accomplish. You should PM or contact me at [email protected] to go into more detail. You may have a unique situation of cowling and space that allows for such a conversion.

SONICH5

Reaction score
For those that are looking for that company and person, I had a chance to drive past the address listed on there website, and found them to still be occupying the space and from the looks of it remain in business. I cant image why he would avoid returning your calls or emails unless it is just a matter of theft. I suggest calling the Minnesota State Attorney General or going to the website and downloading a complaint form. If there were a couple complaints they would look into into and may be able to resolve the issues. If I could do more I would as I feel it is every ones responsibility to look out for predatory businesses. Its a DAMN SHAME if he continues to do this to people. I can always be contacted for more information or assistance to the best of our ability.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used these guy's? They are local to me and I plan on giving them a visit. I was going to Skydynamics but they only make exhaust to go with their sump.

http://www.customaircraft.com
I've used them several times. Reasonable prices, great service, and no trouble with the four custom systems I ordered.
Ben

Textailwind

Reaction score
Thanks Todd for your offer to help. I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago and asked if he intended to steal my deposit and like the other emails (six or seven), I got no response. I just wish I had found your company before I sent him a deposit. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I got taken to the cleaners on this one. Too far away to go see him personally. This is the first time in 42 years of flying that I have dealt with someone who is unethical particularly in the amateur built airplane world. Thanks again for the great system I got from you. I was warned by another customer of the other company, I should have listened and didn't. Just figured there were extenuating circumstances. Boy was I wrong.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have to throw in a plug here for Todd. I just received my system from him and the fit is absolutely perfect and it matches exactly to the mock up I sent him. I couldn't be happier with the system and am looking forward to a long service life from the 321 stainless! If youre in need of a custom exhaust sustem i highly recommend sonic headers! Any time i had a question via email I had a response in a matter of minutes! Thanks again Todd

image-1926940515.jpg

image-4273350507.jpg

image-814455408.jpg

image-1446751063.jpg

image-2135404978.jpg

Latest posts