• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aircraft Grade Wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boredof172s

Reaction score
I wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. After years of contemplating, I've finally decided to commit the next several years of my life to building one of these aircraft. So, let me apologize in advance for what, I'm sure, will be some very ignorant questions. With that, here's the first...

When and where is it necessary to use aircraft grade wood? It's not a question when talking structural components, such as spars. But what about ribs? Steen's rib kits are cut from 1/4" ply, I beleive. 1/4" aircraft grade ply from Aircraft Spruce is over $250 for a 4x8 sheet. As a cabinet maker, I have access to a lot of good material. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4" 5-ply birch at my local supplier is approximately $65.

Not trying to sound cheap and I'm certainly not looking to skimp on anything, just trying to spend money wisely.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back