• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Airdrome Sopwith Baby gets Airworthiness certificate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snj5

Reaction score
After many fits and starts, the Sopwith Hamble Baby Convert passed muster and received the airworthiness certificate today. Many detail changes since the project was first hatched.

Historically, the last 70 Parnall-built Sopwith Babies were built as landplanes, and known as Hamble Baby Converts. Although a few were deployed forward, most were used as trainers. This Airdrome replica takes advantage of the base Tabloid aircraft wide fuselage to give an a WW1 scout that is very comfortable plane for larger (and older) modern pilots

baby20on20runway20006small.jpg

N8184 is marked as a 1917 operational Naval aircraft. The engine is a 110 Rotec with a Culver climb prop. Interestingly, the plane replicates the original wheel aileron control and has several original and reproduction cockpit. Still have a bit of detailing to do, but you get the idea. An experienced pilot who was trying out the cockpit smiled and said the controls felt like an old Stinson Gullwing or Cabin WACO. The system is however, pretty much 1913 Sopwith in basic layout as the original Baby.
baby20on20runway2002020small.jpg

The Lewis gun is a reproduction, but accurate installation and placement.
Cockpit - note wheel, original altimeter and compass, replica Tampier quadrant and ASI.
IMAG0242.jpg

The Airdrome Sopwith Tabloid, Schneider and Baby are basically the same airframe, differing in small details and engine. The length is 22'10" with a wingspan of about 25'8".
Airdrome Baby N8184 weighed in at 890 pounds, and will carry a crew weight of 400 pounds with a MAC at 32% - easy peasy.. The weight of the Rotec before the wings allows a much higher payload after. N8184 is a bit heavier due to an extra layer of paint (we changed colors) at about 30 lbs and lots of detais such as a cast metal Lewis gun replica.

The series can be set up as a side-by side or one very comfortable big guy (yea me!). The original Baby config was a single seat with a wheel and rudder bar, which is what we used. It is a bit of a Pup for big guys. I stil have yet to do the ash landing skids, and a few other details, but she has a CoA and I am very happy.

Robert Baslee, who always likes flashy artwork planes better than my drab kites, remarked: "That's sure a generic looking plane". Well, that's exactly what I was going for...

More soon!

Thanks to so many folks that made this possible!

Latest posts

Back