• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aluminum side panels and side panel attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning to build and install new aluminum side panels on N25PS. The plans call out a single piece aluminum side panel beneath the cabanes to the lower longeron (first picture below). My airplane (and many others I've seen) have a two piece arrangement, cut to follow the upper longeron, with attachment screws along the upper longeron (second picture below).

I think the plans single piece version looks cleaner and would be less drag. What's the rationale for the two piece set up? Easer to make/install? Easier to access the brake pedals/lower fuel tank? If you made this choice as a builder in the past, what drove the choice?

Here is the area I'm talking about....first picture per plans with no attachment on the upper longeron, second picture like my airplane with screws along the upper longeron.

Single piece.jpgTwo piece.jpg

Here's the plans for that area. I'm surprised they called out plain sheet metal screws for everything aft of the firewall. Mine had AN526-8 machine screws/anchor nuts. I'm planning on going back to the plans #6 screw size, but lower drag with dimpled panel holes and AN509-6 machine screws into K1100-6 anchor nuts. Those K1100-6 buggers are expensive though...can't find them online cheaper than Vans at $1.90 each! Anybody know of a cheaper source?
Pitts Side panels plans.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back