• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

And yet another new guy.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skcur

Reaction score
Hi All,
Tommy suggested joining up with you guys now that I have made the jump and bought my first airplane.....a Little Toot, N8DJ from Jayme. At retirement age, buying rather than building was the preference. Lots of nice photos of projects underway for inspiration. Have the 0-320A2B 150hp with 8.5 to 1 160hp pistons in mile high Denver. Fixed metal 74x54 prop turns about 2600rpm on takeoff (though haven't actually looked since are more pressing places to look at the time!) with 7,500' density altitude. At 9,500' was indicating about 93knots/105mph truing upper 120s at 2500rpm. So am considering constant speed prop (no McCauleys available, apparently) to get the "cruise prop" advantage and ability to pull rpm back to 2200 or 2000 without losing as much power as with the fixed pitch. Seems like 74x54 prop is a bit small compared to Steveo73's 76x58, but he may be closer to sea level. The local prop tech wants me out of old Piper Apache era equipment and get some newer technology without all the recurring ADs. You guys have any thoughts on Hartzell or MT or something else in a constant speed? Thanks for any input.....

Latest posts

Back