• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another gear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickyP

Reaction score
I know from reading posts people are about 50/50 on spring gear. On our start up project we have decided to use it. My question to all of you that are smarter than I is as follows.
I have the modification plans from Grove and called to discuss with them about changes before we build. The plans are drawn to modify and existing airframe. They have bushing mounted inside the lower longerons for the gear. They recommended in a clean build that use Steens suggestion of doubling lower long. back to sta. 34 (3/4 pipe inside). Drilling through lower longeron to install gear mount bushings and finishing with 7/8 id tube cut in half and welded to the outside of lower long approx 4-8 inches long where the bushings go through. Slightly moving diagonals to clear bushings & bolts. They said this would be much stronger. Not being an engineer and not wanting to reinvent the wheel I though I would put it out there for discussion ???

Latest posts

Back