• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

(Another) New S-1-11 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua L

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says, I'm starting a new project and I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. This will be a scratch build except for the bits I can't make and I'll certainly be open to any advice.

My first major question is if anyone knows the actual G limits of this design? In Budd's pirep of the S-1-11B he pulled +8 -5.1, but I can't seem to find any published numbers. As I do plan on flying this plane hard I'd like to know what it can really do.

Currently, the modifications I'm planning on are plywood leading edges, wolf tail and probably the wolf cowling. I'm also leaning towards using a different canopy that is more airodynamic and less expensive than the one Aviat sells. Does anyone have a recomendation? As I understand it, the Haigh tailwheel is no longer avaliable. Therefore, can anyone recomend of an equivilent model?

And of course, is there anything I don't know to ask that I should?

Latest posts

Back