• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another Newbie with Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhebda

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings all - I just joined and look forward to lots of learning. Clearly, there's a wealth of experience out here.

My plan is to begin building in a few years, but with the amount of information I need to digest I'm sure that will be here in a flash. Perhaps you can offer some opinions on ...

1) Options. A reoccurring theme is that I don't know what I don't know. I see different options for canopies, landing gear, etc. Has anybody put together a "menu"?
2) Model. I've been leaning toward the D model for my perception of better forward visibility with the wider cabane, but StinsonPilot mentioned in an old thread that the nose is the real blocker (yea, on the ground or on final, I get it). The larger auxiliary fuel tank and easier component handling seem to be benefits as well. I called Steen and they definitely encourage the single piece wing though. Have there been any more good opinions since this one: https://www.biplaneforum.com/threads/opinions-on-3-piece-wing-vs-1-piece.12435/
3) I understand Beej has a builder's manual. How do I find out more?

I'm a structural engineer in the airplane industry, so the plans themselves don't intimidate me. But two factors do give me pause:
- Planning ... if you don't do step 46 early, you'll never get that part in once you've passed step 52.
- Processes ... Tony Bingelis's books have mountains of great information, but the little details like what grit sandpaper to use before applying epoxy to ribs? Wipe the dust away dry, or use a solvent? Is it important to avoid touching that surface, or is T-88 epoxy very forgiving or contaminants? How long must it cure before applying varnish? What kind of varnish? How many coats? And I haven't even gotten past the ribs yet!
Maybe Beej covers these in his manual.

I get the message from previous posts - this is truly about the enjoyment of building for me. I consider myself fairly handy, but have never welded (look forward to learning). Eventually I'd like to do light aerobatics with another adult in the plane and summer cross-county jaunts. I even have a vision for a removable centerline cargo pod for an overnight bag (plus a few for my wife). Am I crazy? Has anybody invented something like that?

From here I hope to keep up with new posts and read through older ones, so my apologies if I asked questions that have been rehashed many times.

Looking forward to the adventure. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back