Anybody buy a compressor lately?

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by barchiola, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 12, 2018 #1

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

Have been looking for something in the 5HP, 60 gal range to do 12 to 15 CFM at 90 psi for spraying Stewart Systems.

Puma? Eagle? Ingersoll Rand? Lots of choices, IR seems like the obvious choice but there are a bunch of bad reviews related to short air pump lifespans.

Thanks!
    Bart

2. Jan 13, 2018 #2

raymoeller

raymoeller

raymoeller

I was thinking about buying a larger horsepower compressor, but they all run on 220. I'm lucky to have 110 in my hangar. I ended up tying two smaller compressors together in parallel to boost CFM last time I sprayed. Worked nicely.

3. Jan 13, 2018 #3

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

Thanks Ray. I've got an ok compressor on 110 but my panel is right where the compressor will be so i'll figure something out. maybe disconnect the range or air conditioning when painting in the garage!

I've heard of guys ganging multiple compressors together but I don't think my one is even half of what it'll take to spray.

4. Jan 13, 2018 #4

Randy

Randy

Randy

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just bought an Ingersol. 220 volt, 60 gallon tank, and I love it. I just sandblasted an airframe and never had to stop a single time to wait for the compressor to catch up.
    I read the same reviews as you concerning this compressor. It was not faulty air pumps it was the failure of the gasket between the cylinder heads. Apparently the heads overheat with continuous running causing this gasket to shrink to the point it allows air flow between cylinders so they have no output as they are just pumping back and forth between each other.
    On an on-line forum I found a guy that had mounted a fan on his compressor heads to help keep them cool. He said he operated an auto repair shop so the compressor had a lot of use and after 4 years he had no problems with the compressor.
    I found a fan on eBay for $20. It is about 10" in diameter. I mounted it about 15 inches from the compressor heads and wired it direct to the compressor so it starts and stops with the compressor.
    Only had it about 3 months but so far so good :)

5. Jan 13, 2018 #5

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

thanks Randy. I read that about the gasket just didn't wan't to try to explain it in a post. the fan is a great idea. did you get the one with the ss4 pump or the ss5? for $699 at tractor supply the ss4 is a pretty good deal and they'll do 12 month zero percent financing so that's a bonus.,

6. Jan 13, 2018 #6

Craigareed

Craigareed

Craigareed

n969tm Thunder Monkey

I bought my 2nd Quincy compressor last year. I sold my last one with my house/shop when I moved to Arkansas. I do a lot of painting with an hvlp gun and the Quincy does a great job. It is rated at around 15cfm @ 175 psi. Don’t recall the model number but I think it has a 60 gallon tank. It is 220v with a 30 amp breaker. The pump is a V4 with 2 low pressure and two high pressure pistons. The motor is a Baldor. The compressor is rated for 100% duty cycle. I bought both of my Quincy’s at Northern Tool. One in-person and one on-line. For the price, it is the best compressor I have owned.

Craig

7. Jan 13, 2018 #7

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

Registered Users Supporting Member

I have a 3hp 60 gal. Puma. It’s about five years old and works great, no complaints.

8. Jan 13, 2018 #8

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

I don't know anybody that is unhappy that bought too much compressor but I know a couple of guys that went cheap and they own two compressors now. The old one and the one that replaced it.

9. Jan 13, 2018 #9

SSkybolt

SSkybolt

SSkybolt

10. Jan 13, 2018 #10

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

We bought a Quincy compressor for the shop a couple of years ago. Very happy with it so far.

11. Jan 13, 2018 #11

DaleB

DaleB

DaleB

Registered Users

Happy with the 30 gallon Puma I bought a few years ago. I looked at 2 or 3 other brands (pretty sure one was Ingersoll Rand, but I wouldn't swear to it). All used the exact same compressor -- the only difference I could detect was the paint color and some other minor variations in the tanks. I run it on 220 at home, and when I have to drag it to the hangar I rewire it for 110 - takes 10 minutes or so to switch it back and forth.

I mostly used it for air tools during the RV build. I've also sprayed primer and paint with it. For "serious" painting it's really not enough compressor, but if you are painting smaller areas like the cockpit, or shooting primer on batches of parts it's fine.

12. Jan 13, 2018 #12

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Looking at an old Quincy for my shop. Just trying to see what kind of amps it will pull with a single phase motor. It currently has a 5 hp 3phase motor, but I don’t have the desire to install a phase converter in the shop.

I like that all the parts are available to rebuild it, and the price without a new electric motor is vary appealing...

99F124C3-17DB-4379-99F3-E706C544E68C.png

13. Jan 13, 2018 #13

Randy

Randy

Randy

barchiola, I have the SS5 motor. I bought it from Craigslist. Guy had bought it one month earlier then his wife departed and he had to get rid of it quick.
    I am really impressed with the volume of air it puts out. I was blowing up the tires on my truck yesterday. While air was going into the tire the compressor kicked on, pumped back to 90 lbs. and shutoff.
    The fan is perfect for my needs, variable speed, head tilts, perfect size.
    18 cfm at 90 lbs. will cover all my needs
    Sorry about the photos, I turned them right side up and they just fell over again :(

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

barchiola likes this.
  14. Jan 13, 2018 #14

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards the IR at tractorsupply and after reading a lot of reviews I'm reluctant to buy used unless I really know the seller and the history of the compressor. No time to do repairs or to make things work, need to get up to speed pretty quickly at this point.
    Thanks!

15. Jan 13, 2018 #15

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

The one thing I don't understand is that the literature from Stewart Systems recommends a compressor of this size (12 to 15 cfm at 90 psi) but the gun they recommend states 13 cfm at 23 psi. Do you really lose 67 psi between the compressor and the gun?

16. Jan 14, 2018 #16

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Supporting Member

What good is a 23 psi compressor? And the 90 is just a data point. That same compressor may only put out 3 com at 175psi.

17. Jan 14, 2018 #17

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

From Stewart’s website files...it has been mentioned many times on the forum by smarter ppl than I about hose fittings causing flow restrictions...

0AE45B31-30C4-4AC8-A495-8287E73821E9.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  18. Jan 14, 2018 #18

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

When I was "upgrading" some of my hose fittings to the high flow type I learned that the ones I bought leak. They are Milton brand which is supposed to be good. Be picky about the quality of your fittings.

19. Jan 14, 2018 #19

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

Thanks for the replies. I saw that document at the Stewart site and it was very helpful actually...that one and the other one or two about air systems, good filter/regulators, and gun setup/selection.

I've always wanted to put my air equipment through an upgrade/update so I'm really looking forward to having all of this in and running by the end of the week. Just knowing I'm finally putting dry air into my tires will be worth it! :)

20. Jan 14, 2018 #20

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Depending on how well your air system flows and what spray gun you use, you'll have your regulator set on 50-65 psi...give or take. I used a Tekna Prolite gun and my compressor regulator was set at 55 psi. That gave me 28 psi at the gun, with the trigger pulled, fan control set wide open. The Tekna Prolite used a lot of air, especially if I used the hvlp cap. I was using a 5hp, 60 gallon Craig's list special. It ran almost continuously while I was spraying. I never got low on air, but spraying sure gave the compressor a workout.

The air prep documentation on the Stewart's website will steer you in the right direction. They also offer good support over the phone.

barchiola and Ryan Mactaggart like this.