• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Appareo died! Need another

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My Appareo, the original black box died due to the power mini plug ripping off the printed circuit board. Anyone have one they would part with. I'm not going to spend $900 for the current offering, don't use it enough to justify and will probably go with a Vilros kit if nothing turns up here.

jpr

Figured out how to edit this.
Reaction score
Pics? Might be able to fix yours.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Will do, Vans Air Force said the next version went with a different plug in to cut down on the stress induced by the power cord. If I had looked I would have found that originally people were going to lighter cords to not stress the receptacle so much. This old box works like a charm, I've compared it to the newest Stratus 2 and see no difference, at least out here in the hinter lands where I fly. And it was dead on too!

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I bet Ianj could fix it for you...

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bet I could. But the Vilros kit is about $100 to get a dual-band setup, I have one, it works well. The advantage of that is that you can replace any part of the kit for less than $50 ($35 for the Raspberry Pi board being the most expensive single component). It's as simple to put together as those 7-piece plastic snap-together model kits you get as a kid; probably simpler, since there are only three pieces that snap together. Soldering on a new power connector to an old piece of equipment would be harder than ordering the Vilros Stratux, and would take much more work (mostly identifying and locating the connector), though it would be cheaper.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ian, with the Stratux with GPS, is everything in one box? Looks like it gets rather ungainly with the main box, power cords, GPS, antennas, etc.

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
I just bought an original stratus on eBay for $150, there are lots of them for under $200

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ian, with the Stratux with GPS, is everything in one box? Looks like it gets rather ungainly with the main box, power cords, GPS, antennas, etc.
No, they're all separate, and yes, it does get a bit ungainly. There's another company (the name of which slips my mind) offering an all-in-one box based on the Stratux tech for about $150 which looks much more professional. I'm using velcro tie-wraps to keep it all corralled, but it's definitely not a swanky-looking setup.

Update: here's the box I was thinking of: https://www.openflightsolutions.com/flightbox/

Last edited:

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I have. The mini USB port labeled 2CM is what came lose from the printed circuit board. I just lost the last two of these on eBay as they both went high, one just under $200 the other just over! :mad: So I am either going to try and fix this one as it works perfectly except for no power now, or buy the OSF. by the way does the OSF dual channel version include a GPS internally as well as have a port for a remote GPS. I called them this morning but it is a holiday for some I guess, (no answer) not for me though.

Vintageav8r

Registered Users
Reaction score
Larry, From looking at the pictures, if no traces were pulled from the PCB, this is a simple fix. Any good avionics shop with an Edsyn soldering station or Chip Master should be able to re-solder the connector in a few minutes. If traces were pulled it is still easily fixable. After reattaching the connector a dab of epoxy to hold it in place would make it better than new. Don't throw it away just yet. In the worse case a pigtail with a standard "D" external connector would work.

If I wasn't a thousand miles away, I'd fix it for you.

Cheers,
E

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The only decent shop around here that I know of is the avionics shop and they are rather proud of their work! Not sure what you'er referring to but I see some very short wires sticking out off the back of the plug-in, so assume they are what your talking about. Ending up with an external connector would probably be better anyway due to the failure mode of this model unit that I found on line. And a 1,000 miles is only a five dollar box at the post office. :)

Vintageav8r

Registered Users
Reaction score
If you want to send it to Texas, I'll do what I can to either fix it or fix it so it can't be fixed. Promise to leave out the cold northern air... and No Snow in the box! :) We are having an early spring here and hope to keep it that way.

PM me for send to address. I've lost your e-mail (HDD crash. Ha, I'm still using PATA drives.).

Regards,
E

<Edit>;
You might try "[email protected]" first. Surely you're not the first one to have this problem with their product. Especially since they recommend that you only use the supplied USB cable.

Last edited:

Latest posts