• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

assembly questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We are assembling plane to check out controls before covering and I have some questions.

When I crudely assembled just the wings on the fuselage a couple of years ago I used four step ladders to level the upper wing while I fitted in the I-struts and brought up the lower wing. It was very messy and I had to borrow step ladders. Is there a better way to stabilize the upper wing while I piece in the lower parts? I have been told that for this fitting/test rigging I really don't need to install the wires. Maybe just clamp leveling boards to 2 step ladders and stick under the wings
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG
?

Slave struts seem to have a very wide attach point compared to the very narrow bearing, leaving a lot of side slop. Is this normal? should these be filled full of washers? They are very stock. Was this intended for fit issues?

Pictures with lower wings installed. Controls seem to work ok. Wings appear to be without twist using rigging boards. I did notice that zero dihedral is not really an option as that would require modifications for clearance in the first compression rid and heel plates. Also my calculations are correct: maximum aileron travel appears to be about 23.5 up and down.

Latest posts

Back