Avation friendly prescription frames

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by ioneater, Apr 15, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 15, 2018 #1

ioneater

ioneater

ioneater

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was given fair warning by my AME not to show up without glasses next time. So..... what's out there for frames that work well with ear cups and don't block peripheral vision? I fly for a living and am required to wear a helmet when doing so. Are the "Flying Eyes" advertised on Barnstormers worth a dang? Those appear to be sunglasses only.

2. Apr 15, 2018 #2

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

Speaking from experience, any of the "aviator" style frames with thin ear pieces work well enough. You will likely want reading lenses also, if not today, then soon. For those I suggest starting with the stick on readers. You can try them in different locations on your main lens and see what works best for your instrument panel and cockpit. https://www.amazon.com/Optx-20-Stick-Bifocals-175/dp/B000W7HQBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523828974&sr=8-2&keywords=optx%2Bstickon&th=1

If the thin ear pieces of the aviator style frames let some noise in, you have an excuse to get a CEP kit.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Wes

3. Apr 15, 2018 #3

AaronS

AaronS

AaronS

Registered Users

+1 on the aviator style frames. I've bought several pairs of glasses through www.zenni.com and they have all been great. They have several aviator style frames available.

Though I don't have a big prescription, my glasses are mostly to correct my astigmatism, so YMMV if you need progressive lenses and what not.

4. Apr 15, 2018 #4

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been wearing glasses most of my life, and have settled on relatively thick plastic frames (turns out I'm allergic to the most common nickel finish on metal frames), but if you really want to avoid noise leakage, go for the very thin titanium frames. You won't be happy about the price, so it may not be a good choice. There are a bunch of different very thin frame designs out there that won't impact the earseal on headsets at all.

I don't find that having the thicker frames bugs me, as far as earcup seal. I did just install a CEP kit in my David Clarks, but that's because I'm on an endless quest to make sure I don't get even more tinnitus in my ears. I've had it my entire life, but that doesn't mean I want more. ;)

5. Apr 16, 2018 #5

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Will moffitt Supporting Member

I have narrow stem glasses and the seal is not a problem. I have a leather helmet, if that if that is the proper term and no complaints. Just put a stronger velcro on it so it will be better. The glasses stay put. The stems fit close to my head.

will

6. Apr 16, 2018 #6

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

Had cataract surgery after years of wearing glasses. They put inserts in and now no more glasses. Was worth the effort.

7. Apr 16, 2018 #7

navybipe

navybipe

navybipe

someone mentioned progressives lenses. I tried them, did not work well for me during airline flying. I knew other guys who had the same results. if you go with bifocals, they can build the lens so the line between top and bottom is correct for the inst panel height for what you fly (hope that all makes sense) and the bottom part of the lens is adjusted for the panel distance and still allow for reading charts, etc.

8. Apr 16, 2018 #8

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Not sure what frames you are going to get as that is a personal choice, but I will highly recommend Nikon lenses.

I have Nikon lenses in both my regular eye glasses and sunglasses. Nikon lenses are available with a variety of lense tint/mirror. I matched the frames non prescription colour with a prescription blue-ish mirror.

The sunglasses wrap close to the my face with no light “leaks” and they work well with my Light Speed ANR.

Best investment since noise cancelling headset.

image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. Apr 16, 2018 #9

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Ryan, as I'm going to need new glasses in the not too distant future and I know that we are all different; can you give me a ball park price on your Nikons. I've got a pair of custom sunglasses with a wire bow that work wonderfully under my head phones and they were custom ground so as to work great looking at an instrument panel but my eyes have changed in the last 6 or so years. I bought these at SnF years ago and don't remember the name, cost me $500 and I like them, a lot. But its time for them to go as I can't read the small print on a chart and using my phone for Foreflight in Miss Smith doesn't help!

10. Apr 16, 2018 #10

jstreat

jstreat

jstreat

I Ride, Fly, and Ski with Wiley X sunglasses with full wrap prescription. They have the removable seals for riding and open cockpit use. It takes a day to get use to the fishbowl effect. But once you adapt, you will like the peripheral vision aspect. Very comfortable under David Clarks and cloth helmet.

http://www.wileyx.com

JST

11. Apr 16, 2018 #11

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

For what its worth, I shoot wearing Wiley-X's with stick on readers in them.

I will offer the observation that when choosing sunglasses, gradient tint on the lenses, where the tint is very light on the bottom of the lens and full density on the top, is very helpful when you have reading lenses integrated into them.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Wes

12. Apr 16, 2018 #12

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Ryan Mactaggart

Canadian $ and Taxes included $587 for eye glasses, $315 for sunglasses. I believe there was a deal on the second pair of Nikon lenses if purchased at same time.

I am sure the prices south of the 49th will be better.

I am fortunate enough to have some eyewear benefit through my employer, so it made the decision easier for me.

13. Apr 16, 2018 #13

ioneater

ioneater

ioneater

My initial eye doc appointment is in a few days to see where things are at officially. Flight doc suspected I would be a good candidate for Lasik but we'll see what the eye people have to say about that. Would still need readers and I already have several of the drug store variety.

Looks like a lot of options out there when the time comes to choose. The Wiley X option surprised me. We were issued boat loads of those for every deployment and the version we got totally sucked! Looks like they've expanded their offerings significantly since those days.

14. Apr 17, 2018 #14

pittss1flyer

pittss1flyer

pittss1flyer

I have worn glasses most of my life, since age 7 (now 65), and the times I didn't I wore contact lenses. Gave up the contacts years ago because they bothered my eyes--dry eyes after a few hours, and later in life I also still had to wear reading glasses. The frames I like the best are ones I have been wearing for the last 5 years. They are from Avantek http://avantekeyewear.com/ . Pricey, but I like the wire frameless lenses. I also have progressive lenses, and really like them. There is no frame lens connection on the face of the lens--only on the side. The wire frames don't leak with headsets on. YMMV.

15. Apr 17, 2018 #15

pittss1flyer

pittss1flyer

pittss1flyer

Forgot to mention also that I have a pair of clip-on non-polarized grey sunglasses that were specifically made to size to fit my eyeglasses. They work perfectly...

16. Apr 17, 2018 #16

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

1 eye for reading and 1 for eagling 7 years ago, the eagle eye still good but the close up one is dragging and not good at night, night vision definitely suffers. Depth perception is still good except for really close up. First thing I did for 45 years is reach for glasses, not needed.....freedom! Except now I have night driving glasses (but don't have to use them, just makes it better) and I buy the cheap 2X reading glasses for $5. I have a top up with the eye surgeon so I could go for XX eagle.

17. Apr 18, 2018 #17

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

I have prescription sunglasses, they must be 20 years old. I rarely wear them but tried them last summer. The screen on the nexus and the digital g meter look as if they are not turned on. Because they are old?

will

18. Apr 18, 2018 #18

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

Polarized sunglasses are a no go with modern LCD displays. Think of it as the sunglasses and the screens are 90 degrees different in their projecting/passing light. So you see a blank screen.

Time for new non-polarized sunglasses. Serengetti Aviators work well.

Best of luck,

Wes

19. Apr 18, 2018 #19

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Polarized lens often cause that kind of thing to happen. Try looking through the sunglass lens with it turned 90°, you should be able to read the LCD screens which will confirm it's a polarized lens.

20. Apr 18, 2018 #20

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Ha, never thought of that. Like I said I rarely wear them. Used them for fly fishing, but usually they were left at home, thanks.

will