• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Baby Great Lakes builder (Unique challenge)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Scrapper

Cassutt freak
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm just starting to build a Baby Great Lakes. Today I ordered wood for the upper wings from AS and started building the rib jig.

The name of my biplane is "Little Scrapper" because my goal is to build it entirely from scrap metals I recycle. Although I do have the finances available to build it I decided to "scrounge" up the money from unusual sources to just prove that an airplane can in fact.....be built by anybody regardless of financial means. The reason for this type of build started with a couple people I know who constantly complain about how aviation is not affordable. I guess I'm tired of hearing that.

My goal is to prove them wrong and just see how far I can go before digging into my own pocket. The Baby Great Lakes is a neat little airplane that's fairly affordable as it concerns Biplanes.

How it works
The first thing I did was set up a mason jar where I can put cash in it. Only the money from this jar can be used for the airplane. As of right now I have about $600 in the jar from scrap copper and brass.

Ultimately, the money can come from anywhere accept my personal account I plan on keeping track of every single dime that gets spent and where it comes from.

I own a construction business and I come across a lot of scrap metal. Scrap metal has value and this is where I started.

I hope I can start a thread on here that keeps tabs on my progress as well as where and how I get the money etc. What I want to do is film actual videos instead of photos and typing, I think that would be fun. I'm just trying to decide between Vimeo or Youtube. I'm gonna set that up tonight.

Obviously this is a large challenge but I know it can be done and I think it would be pretty neat to pull it off.

Mike

Latest posts

Back