• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Bad news from Crankcase Services.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted, Lycoming IO360 cases ...cheap......maybe?

I'm close to throwing in the towel on the Acroduster 2. Hate to do it because I doubt if I can get anything for the airframe. Anyway after getting what I thought was a great deal on a HIO360 it's turning to S... The cases are not repairable even for an "airboat". There is a big crack under the front main bearing that had been welded over.

So unless someone has or has a lead on a couple cases at a decent price I'm outa here. Just throwing the request out there, I'm already resigned to giving up. I was willing to put several $K's into a IRAN but it depended on the big pieces being OK.

Thanks,

Jack

airplanegeek

Reaction score
sorry to hear your bad luck....all i can offer is a 150hp 320 that is 0 smoh cheap but probably not cheap enough looking for 14k.

why not rebuild the 320 you had?

Carey

Reaction score
Hey Jack,
I have a couple friends I will check with tomorrow they might have something not sure but will give it a shot.

Thanks,
Carey

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget 320's as it needs more power. I would have rebuilt the IO320 but it's not worth it for this airplane IMO. The old IO320 was sold but I suppose I should have kept it for the cases....oh well.

Thanks for the help,

Jack

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did know of a guy in Kansas with a Prop strike 0-360 that the crank was bad but the rest only had like 160hrs. He wanted like $1500 for all of it. It’s been a year or two but I bet he still has it if you want me to check?

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea Kris, I'd appreciate it. My buddy here who had the AS2 has a O320 he got at a yard sale. I almost bought it for the AD2 but found the IO320 and thought it was a better bet. I might be able to make a deal with him?

Part of me wants to bail out but another part wants to stuff a 360 in the airplane and fly it. I don't want to become an engine parts dealer. I'm a bit gun shy on used engines at this point.........

I've also got a O235 sitting here. I'm told a O290 has been made into a O360, maybe I could punch out the 235? Alas I should have hung onto the IO320 but I seem to be the eternal optimist and didn't think about the big pieces of the HIO360 being junk.

OTOH when you buy stuff at junk prices.......:oops: I don't have that much in the 360, if the crank is good I'm ahead but I can't afford to keep spending money that can't be retrieved in this lousy market. I'm tempted to fetch that AS2 with O360 in VA that popped-up on BS for $8000 a couple days ago but Marcia would go crazy if she found another airplane hidden in the barn:D

Jack

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
someone would be crazy not to pick that AS2 up if they want to build one. heck youre getting flying wires and a running engine and the rest for free! if I wasn't up to my ears in airplane projects I would buy it! perfect candidate for 2 seat smizo mod AS2. go for it Jack...….. :cool:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't tempt me. It's so close I guess I better make a phone call......I'll tell Marcia I'm just going for a motorcycle ride... Then tell her the bike broke and I needed to rent a 27' U-haul to fetch the old Suzuki home:D

(I'll store the airframe for you until you're ready for it Chris)

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
sounds good..... says it needs fabric but at least its the right color...…. ;)

TFF1

Reaction score
Unlucky you can't do anything with the 235 in that way. There is some internal spacing that was changed when they punched it out 290 and beyond. One thing depending on how it all turns out, you could get some frustration out with target practice on that old case. Big cal rifle style.

hosspowerinc

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better the main journal sizes are different on the 320 you sold me vs the 360. Later cases are interchangeable but not the early ones as I understand by the bearing part numbers.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Justin. Thanks, but couldn't you machine it for the new type bearings? The guy at CCS said most engines need shaving/line boring anyway?(or is the other way round size wise?) Whatever I hope the engine works alright for you. BTW was the metal from the cam/tappets?

Whatever again, I told Marcia I found another 180 hp engine FWF with 380 SMOH in VA for $8K. (I didn't mention it was attached to another airplane) I called the guy with the AS2. He was busy but will call back in about an hour.

garyg, yea those cases look decent. But I'd hate to find out they had another hidden defect. Of coarse it would seem my helo engine had run over 1000 hours with that welded over crack. If no fretting I'd be tempted to throw it back together, I would have done that with my engine except for that. But after a prop strike maybe best to point a black lite at the engine nose?:rolleyes:

Maybe it's in our DNA? I've kicked myself for ever buying the AD2, should have been satisfied with the Tu-holer......Now I'm seriously thinking about another airplane. Just can't quite quit! I wish I was younger, I'd feel better about getting into the used airplane/parts business. Only thing the values, at least prices seem to be still going down.....

Jack

PS. Chris. I'll only charge you $25/month to store the AS2 for you:D

Last edited:

hosspowerinc

Reaction score
Thanks, but couldn't you machine it for the new type bearings? The guy at CCS said most engines need shaving/line boring anyway?(or is the other way round size wise?) Whatever I hope the engine works alright for you. BTW was the metal from the cam/tappets?
Im not sure if they are larger diameter or wider or both. The tappets looked good but I think the cam might have been on its way out. Im hoping to have the money to send it all out to Aircraft Specialties next week.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What ever you do, don't waste more money trying to build up an O-235/O-290 into a Frankencoming O-WTF!!

zx6rrider

Reaction score
I'd stay away from the one in Va....At least until I get a chance to see it Saturday morning lol;)

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to the owner of the AS2 and was going to go take a look and make deposit tomorrow afternoon but after talking with Marcia find we simply can't afford it at this time. (anyone want to wire me $8K for my 86 Z28):D

Frankly I'm somewhat relieved, I have too many irons in the fire. I suspect that airplane could be the best deal I've seen yet but not for me.

I may offer the AD2 air frame for sale but will probably sit on it for awhile.....maybe I will find what's needed to put the present 360 together?

Thanks to all

Jack

Carey

Reaction score
Jack,
I may have found you the 360 case. Need to know is it a wide or narrow deck and which mount are you using?

Thanks,
Carey

Latest posts