• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Barrett's Gemini Electronic Ignition - Stumped!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmhanson

Reaction score
I just started having a problem with my Barrett's electronic ignition and I'm stumped. So I thought I'd see if anyone here has Barrett's ignition system and can give me some direction.

On my last engine run-up and mag check, it was clear that the front sparkplug on #5 wasn't firing as when I shut off the right ignition module the egt on #5 dropped like a rock. So I did the following:

- installed new sparkplug. Same result.
- swapped the sparkplug leads between coils. Same result. That ruled out plug and lead, so I thought it was the front coil.
- replaces coil. Same problem. So, maybe it's a grounding issue.
- tested ground with a multimeter at the coil connector coming from the ignition module. Ground checked good.
- tested continuity between the three other pins and the cannon plug on the ignition module. All good.
- installed old sparkplug that I know works in case the new one was faulty. Same result.

So, know I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think it that the issue is at the ignition module. But, if it had a failure would it only affect one cylinder? Has anyone else had issues like this?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
-kevin
N903WT

Latest posts

Back