• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

becker comms & gps

kwaito

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'm looking install a new lighter radio in my Pitts, has anyone tried the becker radios or gps? good or bad quality stuff?

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
High quality but hard/expensive to get serviced. Today there are less expensive options with better support. A friend flys and EA-300 and his Becker comm needed a battery for its internal memory or something. I think that the batteries come from Germany. Was a pain. Not many shops work on them. Other than service and support the radios work well....

Best of luck,

Wes

Kiwi

Registered Users
Reaction score
The Becker has nice big numbers on the display, something most of the other small radios lack. Pricey though.

Andrew.

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users
Reaction score
Wes,

I had no issues at all sending my becker radio to beckerusa.com down in Florida for checkup last year... prompt service, the bill was exactly as quoted, nothing bad to say about them... perhaps it depends on the model? They also had a bunch of "overhauled" AR4201s for sale for $650 IIRC. I like my AR4201. Trig seems to be another popular one.

-Igor

High quality but hard/expensive to get serviced. Today there are less expensive options with better support. A friend flys and EA-300 and his Becker comm needed a battery for its internal memory or something. I think that the batteries come from Germany. Was a pain. Not many shops work on them. Other than service and support the radios work well....

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

Skippy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Depending on what model Pitts you have the mounting depth of the radio may end up making the biggest factor. I looked at upgrading my radio in my S-1 but most of the small in dash radios are to long to fit.

Hova

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned the Trig units. I like the idea of them in a Pitts because they have a model with a remote faceplate thats only an inch deep. Mount that on the panel then run the wires to the box behind the seat or somewhere else where theres room. And they are really light.

Kiwi

Registered Users
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned the Trig units. I like the idea of them in a Pitts because they have a model with a remote faceplate thats only an inch deep. Mount that on the panel then run the wires to the box behind the seat or somewhere else where theres room. And they are really light.
I believe Becker have remote head units too.

Trig are British and having grown up with Lucas, prince of darkness, having British electronics just seems counter-intuitive! :D

I installed an Australian XCOM radio in a Starduster a number of years ago, before anyone had heard about Trig. It was the only radio that would fit between the panel and the tank. I believe they are a lot shorter than the Becker.

Andrew.

DragonflyDH90

Reaction score
I have installed several Trig units (radios and transponder) as well as Becker, Microair and Xcom. The Trig is undoubtedly the nicest unit of the lot, crystal clear, easy to install, smaller than any, a great unit.

dexws

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Becker 3201 for 7 years without any trouble and now I changed it with a Becker 6201 only for the 8.33 rule
Small and light (about 2 lbs) it is ok IMO
Btw the 3201 is for sale if you are interested in
Ciao

HighTow

Registered Users
Reaction score
I've got one of the factory overhauled 4201s that I bought last year. It has not been out of the box. I have decided to use a regular size (not round) radio in that airplane. If you want it I will sell it for $600, shipped.

Latest posts