• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beej's Blog:Fuel Plumbing and...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I permanently fitted the gas tank. Before I did this, I gave it a quick coat of paint; the tank needed a final coat of paint after so many trial fits (tight to get in). Rather than mess around with spray paint, I used POR-15, brushed on. This paint is incredible, it is a self leveling paint, so brush marks smooth out. The coolest thing is, the paint is not a catalyst type of paint, yet is MEK resistant - I tested it. Vent and scupper line were plumbed out the bottom skin, terminating with some cool looking faired Vans type outlets. Regulator return line was plumbed back into the top of the tank. Wing tank fuel line was routed through the cabane and a valve at the rear pit. The biggest pain was having to make a fitting at the belly skin that housed a fuel drain valve, transferring to a -4 line, that had fixing points to a bracket on the fuselage. Basically, I got some solid alum' bar, approx 4 inches long, drilled it out, tapped both ends 1/8 NPT, then had a plate TIG welded to it for an attach point, painted it, looks pretty good. So, fuel plumbing is done, afte of the firewall, so later this week I will do a final pressure test.
The tasks looming, are mounting the mock-up core engine so I can start the cowling and work back across the top of the nose to the PAX instrument panel, and making a new rear pit panel.

The Catto prop has been ordered...probably a 5 month lead time, but it's not like I am stuck without it...I'll be going nowhere for a while... :0)

I decided to make an external smoke oil filler cap fairing out of balsa/glass..pics will eventually appear, of that...I also decided to add an inertia switch to the smoke system - in case I hit something hard and the pump is on. Currently, I am seriously thinking of tieing this in also with the fuel boost pump...

1.jpg

Boost pump with bypass
2.jpg

Powder-coated floor rails
3.jpg

Smoke oil fill fairing prep
4.jpg

Tank finally fitted
5.jpg

Flop tube access
6.jpg

Insertia switch for Smoke and fuel boost pump