• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Beejs Blog Update

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
6,424
Reaction score
1,306
Location
Austin, TX





<TD vAlign=top>Pic showing 2X4 mock up...


I-Struts
I finished up heat bending the lower box sections, this time heating the correct side...heat bending the underside of the box section is visually tricky, so I used a mirror [see inset pic]


I have left the spar bolt locating holes off of these, these will be drilled when the completed I-strut has finished moving around during welding.


The streamline tubes arrived, so I have started to fabricate them. The ends of the struts are at a compound angle, so tricky to cut accurately. I really didn't want a bad hair day by cutting them wrong [cost], so I first made a mock up out of a stud 2X4. This was then used for reference. For curiosity's sake, I checked the mock up on the other wing, and found I was only off by 1/32, not bad. The streamline tubing is now clamped in place, and I am just about ready to start tack welding them.


Interesting note: the streamline tubing on the 91 plans is different than on the early 75 plans. I compared the new tubing to the old I-struts I have, and there is a big difference in size and weight, the new stuff being slightly smaller and with a thinner wall.


Aileron stops
I made the stops at the stick end out of solid bar. A hole was drilled all the way through, then tapped in about 1 inch for a AN3 bolt. As yet , they need tacking on the fuselage.


Engine Mount
I have decided on using an IO-360 angle valve, so I can now order my engine mount, this is coming from Steen. It occured to me that the chances of a jig-built mount blindly fitting a 75 'bolt fuselage are about as equal to me looking good in a tight spiderman outfit. So I made an MDFtemplate with steel bushing plates for the locating holes. I will be shipping this to them.


To come: next, I will be tacking the bracing tubes on the I-struts, then I intend to make a 2x4 lumber cradle/jig to house the struts to minimise movement, at which time they will go to my high class tig welding buddy for finish welding. Then I can finally dismantle the wings, turn the plane upside down, and focus on fitting the cabane compression tube and glass cabane fairing. Then I can store away the wings and start playing with the fuselage and landing gear.





Finished tube, ready for welding...

Engine mount template...
 

Latest posts

Top