• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beejs Blog Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

<TD vAlign=top>RV7 spring steel gear...

My seat pans are now trimmed and the edges polished. I will fit them once paint is on the tubes. I have a feeling getting the aluminum bent over the tubesand riveted down is going to be a real pain...

I have also been busy making andwelding on bits here and there, such as cable bulkhead brackets and throttle/mixturecableattachtabs. I also decided to go back to the rear pilot seat with aluminum sheet instead of fabric. This will give me much better post-access for maintenance. So I made new fuseIageformers from 3/8 tube using a large gas bottle as aforming tool. To achieve the correct shape, I temporarily sat the turtledeck in situ, then traced the contour down the side of the fuselage with a strip of 1/16 ply. Formers are now welded in.

Fuselage Rotisserie
Next I made up a fuelage rotisserie. Those who have built with and without one know the easier route :0). I purchased a sacrificialengine mount from Harbor Freight for around $35. I needed to raise the mount so it's center point matched the center point running through the fuselage and alter the mount angle to 90 degrees (they come angled, slightly). So I chopped the upright in half and hammered in some 2x4 lumber on each end, thenbolted on a pair of 1/8 steel angledplates to bring it back to vertical. The tail stand is from 2x4s studs, I will need to put up a couple of pics rather than try to explain how I made the tail end.

The rotisserie is now ready, but I cannot use it yet since I have the fuselage inverted and clamped solid to a wood frame complete with concrete bags as ballast, while I mess around witha jig for the potential idea of usingRV/Wittman style round spring steel landinggear.

RV Style Landing gear

I am looking at the possibility of using spring steel landing gear (Wittman Tailwind and RV's) as opposed to the traditional bungee gear, or the Groves aluminium gear. My reasons for this deviation is i) sleek modern look (which is the look I desire) ii) less under-wingturbulance iii) less drag. However, the penalty is more weight compared to bungee gear. So, one has to compare the trade-off between looks/heavy/but streamlinedversus traditional/lighter/bulky.

I initially had a spare RV7 leg that someone loaned me for mocking-up. I was kind of hoping this leg would be darn close to my geometry, but as half expected, that was too good to be true, but it did get me close regarding visualization. I then discovered two significant leads...i) the EAA website has a designspreadsheet dedicated to this type of gear design and ii) I discovered the contact# for the company that make the spring gear for RV's -and they do custom sizes.

According to the spreadsheet, the proposed spring gear will be heavier and slightly thicker than the RV7 leg, and will have 1.5" axle dia'. Currently, it seems the RV gear is very close in weight to the alum' groves typegear when comparing apples'. However, I suspect the RV style gear will top out 2 or 3 pounds heavier than groves when all is done.I will eventually publish the weight breakdowns.

More to come on this saga.

Finished seat pans...

Landing gear jig...

Latest posts

Back