• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beej's Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't posted a blog post since September 2012! But I have been busy on the project. The electrical system firewall aft, is almost complete. Running dozens of wires is really mind numbing; I can't explain it any other way, except 'visual disorientation' when corralling the wiring into neat groups. I seemed to go through a process of adding and cutting off tie wraps several times over...you need to order 10 times as many tie wraps as you think you need...

Instrument Panel Details

FL-760 Transceiver
Seems to be currently the best buy in 2 1/4" hole format.
After perusing over the manual, I decided to get the help of an experienced avionics buddy to make me the harness for me - no mean feat.

PM1000II Intercom
The FL-760 does has an intercom feature, but this dedicated puppy has extra features, like independant squelch control for PAX and pilot.

Pictoral Turn & Bank
For that hairy moment...

GT-50 G-Meter
Also has a clock and flight timer.

Stewart Warner Fuel Guage
This is linked to a sender probe unit housed within the main tank.

MGL E-1 Engine Monitor
This is the primary monitor, it comes with nice features, like preset alarm thresholds for the systems being monitored.

MGL TC-1 Engine Monitor
This is a 4-channel thermocouple monitor to show EGT temps.

MGL BAT-1
Electrical power monitor.

Other Electrical Systems

Alternator AL12-EI60
This alternator is pretty light, at 6 pounds 15 ounces, and has an internal regulator.

Aerovoltz Lithium Battery (16-cell)
After a lot of deliberation, I decided to go the lithium route at only 3.5 pounds. I also bought the matching balance charger. I will be adding a 1" SCAT tube directed to the battery housing box.

EPL Nav/Strobe & Kunztleman Tail Light
While the plane is not intended for night flight, I decided to add some form of lighting for dawn/dusk flight and easier identification. These are a German deal sold by ACS. They are LED wing tip nav lights with an integral strobe, the whole unit is epoxy resin encased.

Narco 150a Transponder & AK-350 Encoder
I couldn't justify buying a 2 1/4" format, so I settled for an old dinosaur slot-in type. This will be housed in a center console along with the altitude encoder.

Smokingairplanes.com Smoke System
This is a pretty well thought out kit and the electrical components supplied, well thought out and very comprehensive.

Inertia Switch
This is an automotive (Ford, I think) inertia sensor used, for fuel tanks. I am utilising it to cut the power to the smoke and fuel boost pump during a hard impact.

Auxiliary Outlets
There is one outlet buried behind the panel. This has a double USB adapter in it to feed power to the panel GPS and to the independent bluetooth GPS. It seemed the AUX Socket/USB adapter approach was easier than trying to hard wire the wiring for these peripherals.

Bendix Magnetos
After researching like it seemed forever, I decided to stick with traditional tried and tested mags. I was very close to replacing one of them with an electronic ignition P-mag. Maybe one day... . The two pre-made P-leads for the mags are costly at $75 each, so I decided to roll my own by buying shielded cable at $1.70 per foot (21 ft total).

cur.jpg

Latest posts

Back