• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beej's Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems I haven't posted a blog post forever. I have been busy on the plane tho; just got lazy in posting regular progress, it seems.

Anyways, things are moving very slowly, but surely. It seems the first engine run is around the corner!

I have just finished what I think was one of the most tiresome jobs on the project - the baffles!! fuc#3@$k**&ing grrrrr. To make the job harder, I decided to paint them (epoxy primer, catalyst tractor top coat) The air intake is the snorkel design from the RV-8. I bought the Vans baffle kit to help save time, which it did, but the snorkel ramp setup I had to modify for the Skybolt, and without the vans kit, it would have taken me months, not weeks to finish. Although, I can quickly think of a tougher job; the cowl - wow, talk about needing tenacity to build these things...what a challenge that was.

I love it when one hits a milestone without realizing its looming - we added the first oil and pre-oiled the engine today!

Before I hit the final big stage of fabric and paint, here is my laundry list, which considering the hundreds of lists I have gone through over the years, is pretty short!:

- sand finish the nosebowl so I can prime it (to protect it from oil/grease for first engine run)

- revisit the fuel inlet scupper around the main gas tank; I want a neater seal solution on the scupper-to-top sheet metal

- test fuel system

- set timing for the P-mags

- install prop

- first engine run

- bond the fiberglass cosmetic frame to the canopy and fine finish it

- make the four intersection fairings for the landing gear (every other conceivable fairing and cover is done)

...then on to many months of fabric and paint.......and possibly a partial vinyl wrap :0)

Img_0037.jpg

Img_0038.jpg

Img_0040.jpg

Img_0041.jpg

Img_0043.jpg

Img_0044.jpg

Latest posts

Back