• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bend pushrods?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey guys,

as I moved on with the build of my Ultimate I came across the part of the 10-200 plans where the pushrods have to be bent. Both the elevator and aileron pushrods shall be bend to allow clearance to either the bottom ribs or the torque tube of the stick itself. Bending pushrods is something that absolutely scares me.

Since the loads on the aileron are relatively low I don't bother with the bend Pushrods here, but I'm scared of the pushrod from stick to first idle on the elevator. JAR23 demands 300 N force on the stick in aileron direction and 745 N in elevator direction. Taking the leverage into account (4:1) this equals ~3000 N on the pushrods of the elevator. I just did a simple test (in direction of the tube of course) with my own bodyweight (~100 kg) on the bend pushrod - it was deformed about 1 mm after the test - so I'm pretty sure that it will buckle with the higher load. (We don't talk about tailslides or torque rolls with a hard knock over which might result in even higher loads...)

The tube is 5/8*.035 which is prone for buckling, especially if it's bend. My intention now is to increase the size to .049 or even .058. I'll do a FEM calculation on it on monday but still I'd like to hear your experience on bend pushrods. I know that the aileron pushrods on the Pitts S1 are bend, too - but not the elevator pushrods. Please let me know what you think about it, in an airplane that is going to be pushed to every limit.

Second thought I have is about tailslides. I heard that there are some mods that should be done if you want to do tailslides. Are there additional elevator stops or something? In my oppinion it would be good to have suchs stops that hit after the stops on the stick. This way one would also have the damping of the pushrods itself and would - in case of a really hard knock overs - hit the stop before the drive system gets damaged.

Thank you guys for the help. See also the attached pictures.

28693572_1702775513118253_240725367_o.jpg

28755336_1702775583118246_926766755_o.jpg

28643203_1702775636451574_1859696109_o.jpg

28693494_1702775653118239_353510914_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back