• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

benderfesk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benderfesk

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I come from a little country called Croatia. I'm flying on powered trikes and am having the greatest uncertainty: whether to buy myself one or to invest that money in learning and getting licensed to flying on something bigger (LSA).
The latest idea that kept me going and also registering here is that I'm thinking of building a plane myself.
For the similar reasons I enjoy flying the trikes - which is the lack of enclosed cockpit - my plane of choice would be an open-cockpit, slow, two-seat biplane.
By coming here I would like to meet you and to learn from you guys. This forum looks really great and is the real eye opener for someone like me (who is obsessed with planes since he first heard about them) and is the real source of first-hand info one cannot find on official sites or magazines.
I don't really remember when was it that I first heard of airplanes but I'd like to share with you one event that's engraved in my memory and dates back to when I was 6 or so. My grandfather worked his whole life for an agricultural company near the village I grew up in and there they had a small concrete airfield and one Antonov An-2. One day he took me there to show it to me and that was the first time I saw a plane live. Boy was that some huge machine! I was so fascinated by it that only thing I could do was asking my grandfather if could touch it. He burst out laughing and said: "Why of course you silly!", and I felt so honoured. Never flew in one though but the respect remained till this day.
My flying story started couple of years ago when one day - after countless years of building scale models and reading and searching for any type of information about airplanes I could find - I finally asked myself: how much does ultralight flying cost? I was shocked and feeling extremely stupid when I found out that I could afford it with my salary. I just felt it being way out of my league so much I wouldn't even check it. Stupid.
And now on this day, almost 3 decades later after touching that Antonov, my eyes are opening once again while discovering the whole new world. Now I now that there is no limit except the one your own mind creates.
The sources for homebuilding are scarce here in my country. If my exploration gets me to finally deciding on building one I'm counting on your help for a noble goal of popularizing this hobby (or the way of life?) in this distant land.
Cheers and Godspeed!
Luka

Latest posts

Back