• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bending 4130

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlin27

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've just started bending the first longeron for my S1s fuselage. I made a plywood radius block to screw to the jig and tweak the tube around. As far as alignment is concerned, it has worked perfectly. There is however a slight flattening at the inside and a tiny bulge (about 1mm in a 2 meter spirit level).
Is this typical/normal when working with 4130 cold?? I know that some people use a gas canister or tyre rim to bend the longerons so I assume that this is unavoidable using this method. It's the first time that I've worked with 4130 so a bit of confidence is required at this early stage!!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back