• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bending brake isnt giving me the right bend radiu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddie

Reaction score
Hey All,

I had a problem with getting the correct bend radius when making my heeltrays in a bending brake (not a press brake) and I wondered if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I needed to make a 90 degree bend with a .125" radius in a piece of 0.050" thick 3003-H14 aluminum.

I adjusted the setback to 0.175" (0.125" radius plus 0.050" material thickness) on the bending brake. When I made the bend, the material bent right at the clamping point with a really tight radius (0.025-0.050") instead of the 0.125" that I should have seen. The grain of the material was perpendicular to the bend line.

Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?

I'm really confused. I followed the set-up instructions to the letter and even double-checked everything, but the bend kept coming out way too tight.

Thanks in Advance,

Ed

Latest posts

Back